ECW: Want to "Jine the Cavalry?!"

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I kind of do! Great little article with a great song at the end to listen to. Sometimes even us girls want to "smell hell."

https://emergingcivilwar.com/2019/07/11/can-i-really-jine-the-cavalry/

11165r.jpg

Stuart’s Ride (Library of Congress)

"I was about ten years old when I first read a reference to the Civil War song “Jine the Cavalry” in a kid’s biography book about J.E.B. Stuart. Curious, I wrote a friend, asking if he knew the lyrics and would share them with him; it really irked me for a long time that he never sent them. Years later, I wonder if this older history buff knew I wouldn’t understand the words and all the context at that young age and wanted me to find them when I was a little older and a little farther in my war studies.

The song came to mind on my recent trip during the day I attempted to trace Stuart’s 1862 Chambersburg Raid on a drive that took me into four states and got me lost on backroads. (It was a perfect day!) I was trailing the Confederate cavalry route, and a day or two later as I combed archives in two different states I realized that I have “jined the cavalry” – maybe not forever, but at least for this particular research project."

I didn't realize that Stuart carefully cultivated his image. Can anyone speak more to that?

Reactions: DBF
Sounds like a great song.

Can we focus more on Stuart’s 1862 raid against Chambersburg?

I would like to learn about this.

Sounds like a great song.

Can we focus more on Stuart’s 1862 raid against Chambersburg?

I would like to learn about this.

Too funny Drew. You probably know the blood type, mother's maiden name and country of origin of everyone there and could timeline the whole thing beginning the month before. " I would like to know more about this ". Have a feeling you'd like to er, discuss more about this. :angel:

Back