Lt.Arty Easy Confederate Napoleon Gun quiz?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I bet our cannon people will have no problem identifying which Confederate Napoleon cannons these are.

con 12.jpg

The problem is there are not all Napoleons.

A. looks Napoleon
B. Pretty sure is Napoleon
C. Don't get me to lying, (I don't know of any Napoleons with a muzzle ring and no chase ring, those rings are more of a M1841 Howitzer thing)
D. I'm gonna say Macon or Columbus made copies of a Napoleon
E. One of the iron Tredegar jobs where it looked more like a Parrott

Last edited:
Well according to (James C. Hazlett M.D. in The Confederate Napoleon Gun, Military Collector & Historian , Winter 1964)) the caption says:
A. Leeds & Co. No. 19
B. Quinby & Robertson, No. 37
C. Quinby & Robertson, No. 38
D Macon, No. 10
E. Tredegar iron substitute Napoleon.

Guess I'm going to have to eat a little crow in my grits in the morning as technically they maybe all Napoleon's but I IMHO, E is a hybrid and was made in the late war at Tredegar. In the late war bronze was in short supply in the South so in order to make this type gun in Iron, they had to add the big ole breach in order for the metal to hold up during firing just as they did with the Parrott which was made of iron.

Guess I'm going to have to eat a little crow in my grits in the morning as technically they maybe all Napoleon's but I IMHO, E is a hybrid and was made in the late war at Tredegar. In the late war bronze was in short supply in the South so in order to make this type gun in Iron, they had to add the big ole breach in order for the metal to hold up during firing just as they did with the Parrott which was made of iron.

Well if you accept James C. Hazlett view of what he considers a Confederate Napoleon. I am less certain what people during the Civil War believed what was and what was not a Napoleon gun. I am not familiar with James C. Hazlett so can not judge his expertise on the subject and if anyone since 1964 has questioned his article.

Back