Early war Confederate using Michigan buttons.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Early war uniform worn by member of the 13th Virginia. From a letter printed in the Battle Creek Journal dated 11 Oct. 1861. the letter sent from Arlington Heights on 20 Sept. 1861.

This Confederate solder from the 13th Virginia Regiment waved his hat and said he wanted to change sides. "He had on Michigan buttons on his shirt, which he said he took from clothing found upon the battlefield of Bull Run." "His uniform was grey, much worn and exceeding filthy."

It is unknown how many Michigan buttons were available. The 3rd Michigan had been issued gray 10 button roundabouts with shoulder strap buttons, but had began to replace their gray uniforms with mixture of black uniforms and dark blue uniforms but these probably has U.S. buttons on them.

What were "10 button roundabouts with shoulder strap buttons"? My GGGrandfather enlisted in the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry in early June of 1861 along with his 3 brothers, and I know they were originally issued dark gray coats and light gray trousers. The 3rd engaged the Confederates at Blackburns Ford, VA just a day or two before the 1st battle of Bull Run in Colonel Richardson's Brigade (along with the 2nd Michigan, the 12th NY, and the 1st MA Infantry regiments). I'm trying to picture what their uniforms looked like.

There are as far as I know one or perhaps two photographs of the 3rd Michigan's gray uniforms. One photo shows the men in their grey uniforms. The photo is not too clear, but I count 10 buttons (it is possible that it is 9 buttons, but I see it as 10). A photograph of the band of the 3rd Michigan exists and was part of the exhibit at the Grand Rapids Museum. Although it is hard to be certain, that this is the exact same uniform as the regiment or not. but shows the band in gray uniforms and caps that appear identical or at least very similar to the gray uniforms in the photo of the three soldiers. I feel it is an established fact that the 3rd Michigan Regiment was originally issued gray uniforms, but if they were 9 or 10 buttons is still open to debate.

I have not seen the fact that they were issued dark gray coats and light gray trousers. I an of the belief they were issued jackets not coats and would love to see any information about them relieving coats.

The 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment’s gray uniform: The contract for gray uniforms for the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment was awarded to Lewis Porter. He was not only a local Grand Rapids clothing merchant but also politically well-connected being a former Senator. Lewis Porter apparently had the uniforms made in Cincinnati Ohio; the uniforms were also reported to have been made up in either Detroit or Grand Rapids. These Porter supplied uniforms included gray satinet roundabout jackets, gray pants and gray overcoats with ‘jaunty little’ gray caps.[ii]

A period photograph of Company I show the men in gray jackets which closed with ten gilt buttons. These jackets had shoulder epaulettes with small gilt buttons near the neck. The sleeve cuffs lacked either buttons or trim. The jackets had unadorned standing collars. Gray trousers were worn, apparently without seam stripes for sergeants and corporals. The gray forage caps had a metal “I” for I Company centered at the front of the cap.[iii]

The fact that the 3rd Infantry Regiment wore gray uniforms is confirmed in many sources. The Barry Pioneer reported that regimental members on leave wore uniforms of grey cloth which was very becoming and conferrable.[iv] The Cleveland Herald described the 3rd Michigan Infantry as it passed through Cleveland on June 16 as being in gray uniforms like those worn by Wisconsin.[v] The Detroit Daily Tribune published on July 4 1861 a letter that describes the 3rd Michigan as being in thick gray uniforms. In a letter one member of the 4th Regiment, which itself wore cadet gray uniforms, refers to the uniforms of the 3rd Regiment as light gray. So even although the exact shade of gray is never given but is likely light gray or at least of a lighter shade than the cadet gray/light gray uniforms of the 4th Michigan Infantry Regiment.

The quality of the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment’s uniforms was questioned in Michigan newspapers almost as soon as they were issued. Lewis Porter who had supplied the uniforms insisted that they were made up to the required government standards but questions about their quality continued for some time.[vi] The State investigated the claims that the uniforms were of inferior quality and decided that the uniforms were up to requested standards. “”From conversations with three of the commissioned officers today I learned with great satisfaction, that the clothing furnished by the Hon. Lewis Porter, EX Senator form this county, who is the contractor, come fully up to the standards required by the Government, in point of material and manufacture. Inspector Major Leffingwell, a gentleman of distinction connected with the military board of this State, with competent assistants, have been engaged during the entire week in the arduous labor of inspection, and they are emphatic in their approval of the manner Mr. Porter has fulfilled his contract.” The state inspectors however did not have wear the uniforms and the men who did have to wear the uniforms[vii] still did not believe the uniforms up to their expectations.

The 3rd Regiment’s gray uniforms did not wear well under field conditions. Charles B. Haydon of the 2nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment observed the 3rd Michigan Infantry and wrote in his journal “They are a good looking set of men but their uniform does not look very well. It was originally grey but has become very dirty & has now a dull lifeless appearance. If (sic.) offers a very poor mark to the enemy but it has not the fresh lively appearance of blue with bright buttons.”[viii] Latter that fall Daniel G. Crotty again raised the issue of the quality of the uniforms when he wrote “For at this time we throwing off the dirty, shoddy suit of gray, furnish us by a shoddy contractor at Grand Rapids.”[ix]

There is no information on the style or color of the uniforms worn by officers of the 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment. In all probability they wore uniforms based on the normal Michigan officers uniform which itself was based on U.S. army officer’s uniforms. It is uncertain if the uniforms for the officers were dark blue or gray.

3rd mich.jpg

http://civilwartalk.com/#_ednref1 ‘The War Feeling’, Adrian Daily Expositor, June 7 1861, p.1, col.3.

[ii] “Stray Leaves from Camp No. 2, Cantonment Anderson, June 2 1861, signed Frank”, Lansing State Republican, June 5 1861, p.2, col.3.

[iii] Photograph of the ‘Taylor Brothers’.

[iv] “Returned”, Barry Pioneer 9Hastings), June 6 1861, p. 3, col. 1.

[v] “The Third Regiment”, reprinted from the Cleveland Herald, Detroit Daily Advertiser, June 17 1861, p. 1, col.2

[vi] “Affairs at Grand Rapid, Letter from Grand Rapids, Jun 1 1861 signed “Kent” Detroit Daily Advertiser, June 4 1861, p. 1, col. 1.

[vii] “Affairs at Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids June 1 1861, letter signed by Kent,” Detroit Daily Advertiser, June 4 1861, p. 1, col.1.

[viii] For Country, Cause & Leader ‘The Civil War Journal of Charles B. Haydon’ Ed. By Stephen W. Sears, Ticknor & Field, New York, 1993, p.27.

[ix] Crotty, Daniel G., Four Years Campaigning in the Army of the Potomac, Dygert Bros. & Co., Grand Rapids, MI., 1874. Corporal Crotty does not give an exact date, but places this after the First Battle of Bull Run.

Attachments

• 1st Mich.jpg
    1st Mich.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 135
From a different data base that tells they wore gray, black and blue uniforms at at Bull Run. This also inclueds arms used early in the war.

June 10 1861 in Grand Rapids Michigan. They left the state in the state issued gray uniforms.http://civilwartalk.com/#_edn1 The regiment received Havelocks and was wearing them when they passed through Detroit on route to Washington D.C. They were issued company letters which they apparently wore on the front of the caps. A visitor to the 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment on June 23 1861 stated that their light gray uniforms had faded and were badly soiled. William Hubbell & Company a Grand Rapids boot and shoe manufacture located on the corner of Monroe Avenue and Randolph Street, received the contact for 1,999 pairs of army shoes.[ii] These were likely similar to U.S. army shoes. Officers wore the Michigan version of the standard blue officer’s uniform.

Starting in February of 1861 union cockades became popular in Grand Rapids area. Some men who joined the 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment may have worn them. These cockades are described as being red, white and blue with a navy button for the center. [iii]

The federal government wanted to issue them new blue uniforms soon after they arrived in Washington D. C. as show by this June 30 1861 report from The Detroit Daily Tribune that indicated that the 3rd Michigan still wore thick gray clothes but they are to be supplied this week with new suits entire, to include linen pants.[iv] New U.S. uniforms of a blue blouse, blue pants and a blue cap of heavy army cloth were issued in September of 1861.[v] On July 5 1861 some members of the 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment received new U.S. uniforms of blue blouse, pants and cap, all made of heavy cloth.[vi] But obviously not all men received new uniforms because a letter published in the Allegan Journal that had been written on July 7 1961 indicates that they were about to change their gray clothes for black, but the letter did not tell what type of back uniforms they were expecting to get. “We are to change our gray clothes for U.S. clothing this week; our new suits will be black.”[vii] Although black uniforms were uncommon during the Civil War, other Michigan regiments at this time were receiving black trousers and black overcoats[viii].

When did the 3rd Infantry change their uniforms and what to? Some of the confusion can be cleared up by a letter in Grand Rapids Weekly Enquirer form the period of just before the Battle of Bull Run. The Third Michigan Infantry were in mixed colored uniforms. “I really hope we shall not move till we get whole clothes for this regiment is the laughing-stock of everyone around Washington as far as our uniform is concerned it is a beautiful arrangement of all the colors of the rainbow”[ix]… What is not clear is if the mixed colors referred to individual men in mismatch uniforms or if different companies wore different color uniforms.

It would appear that the uniform exchange was not completed in time for the Battle of Bull Run. Some companies exchanged their uniform even latter. Charles Church of Company G in a letter dated August 24 1861 states “We are getting our cloths & blankets now. They are much better than state clothing.”[x]

During the First Battle of Bull Run many of the men lost their coats and blankets. “Our men lost most of their coats and blankets at Bull Run. They did not throw them away however. They were ordered to put them in a pile, so they could fight to better advantage and was ordered to retreat without the opportunity to get them and have consequently been without them till to-day they received a new supply.”[xi]

The regiment had received new uniforms in September of 1861. “Both the Second and Third Regiments have been furnished with new uniforms since the Bull Run affair, the gray of the Third oaving (sic.) been suppressed by a much more becoming blue.”[xii]

The Elder Zouave had blue coat and pants, shirts and caps by September 18 1861.[xiii]A letter printed in the Lansing Republican on September 17 1861writen June 6 by a member of the Edler Zouaves, 3rd Regiment states that they were to soon receive blue coats, pants, shirts and caps. At the same time canteens, haversacks, and knapsacks were to be issued.[xiv]New U.S. uniforms of a blue blouse, blue pants and a blue cap of heavy army cloth were issued in September of 1861During the winter of 1861-62, the regiment received dark blue frock coats and black trousers with light noncommissioned officers stripes and black capped overcoats.[xv] To help keep the men worm during the winter of 1861-62 the Lansing Military Aide Society sent Company G, 13 coats, 10 vests and 100 new haversacks in January 1862.[xvi]While on active duty in 1861 Company G was ordered to wear light blue pants and dress jackets to avoid being confusing with confederates who wore similar uniforms.

Mrs. William Stevens has a photograph of the Regimental Band. This photograph is thought to be from 1862. The bandsmen wear gray 10 button roundabouts very similar or identical to the enlisted men’s roundabouts. It would seem possible that this is actually from 1861 and if so the bandsmen had adopted a very plain uniform as opposed to their fancy prewar gray band uniforms.

The federal government sent 25 cases of arms for the 3rd Infantry Regiment.[xvii] They received 204 rifled muskets and 760 smooth bore muskets. The Michigan Adjutant General’s Report of 1861 indicates they had been issued smooth bore muskets. The Cleveland Plaindealer stated that the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment was armed with the latest pattern smooth-bore muskets with the two flank companies having the latest pattern U.S rifled muskets.[xviii] Another source indicates they were issued Austrian muskets in .54 and .55 calibers. When the regiment left Grand Rapids, they placed bouquets on their bayonets.

http://civilwartalk.com/#_ednref1 The Military Contract board, Detroit Free Press, May 23 1861, p. 1, col. 1.

[ii] “Shoes for the Third Regiment”, Detroit Daily Advertiser, June 8 1861, p. 1, col. 2.

[iii] Grand Rapids Daily Enquirer and Herald, February 5 1861.

[iv] “From the Fourth Regiment, special correspondence for the Detroit Tribune from Camp Cameron Harrisburg Sunday Jun 30”, Detroit Daily Tribune morning ed., July 4 1861, p. 4, col. 2.

[v] “Letter from Camp Anderson, Grand Rapids September 15 1861, signed Zouave”, Lansing State Republican, September 18 1861, p. 2, col. 2.Lansing Republican, letter reprinted, September 18 1861.

[vi] “Stray Leaves from Camp – No. 6, Camp Blair Georgetown Heights D.C. Jun 5 1861, signed Frank”, Lansing Republican, July 17 1861, p. 2, col. 4.

[vii] “From the Third Michigan Regiment, Georgetown Heights D. C. Camp of Third Mich Regiment July 7th 1861, letter By G. W. Bailey”, AlleganJournal, July 15 1861, p. 2, col. 5.

[viii] The supply of army cloth and blue cloth in general was not sufficient to meet the demand. This forced the federal government to accept various colors of civilian grade cloth. These uniforms would have been replaced once production of standard army blue cloth became available.

[ix] “From the Third Regiment, Camp Blair July 12 1861”, Grand Rapids Weekly Enquirer, p, 4, col. 3.

[x] Civil War Letter, The Rose City Area Historical Society, Rose City Mi., 1987.

[xi] “Letter from Washington, Camp near Arlington: Sep 4, 1861, singed by I.S. Geer”, The Barry Pioneer, September 13 1861, p. 2, col, 1 -3.

[xii] “From Washington, “Richardson’s Brigade” the 2nd, 3rd and 5th Regiments, Washington, September 27 1861, letter signed by C.R.B”, Detroit Daily Tribune, October 2 1861, p. 2, col. 2.

[xiii] “Letter from Camp Anderson, Grand Rapids September 15 1861, signed Zouave”, Lansing State Republican, September 18 1861, p. 3, col. 2.

[xiv] One must wonder if the State issued equipment was some how inferior because canteens and knapsacks should have lasted longer than this.

[xv] The source of these is not stated, however Michigan had received a shipment of black trousers from the federal government, so perhaps some of these were sent to this regiment.

[xvi] Lansing Republican, January 15 1862.

[xvii] “Arrival of Arms”, Detroit Free Press, May 23 1861, p. 1, col. 1.

[xviii]The Third Regiment, Detroit Daily Advertiser, Jun 10, 1861, p. 1, col. 3., Article reprinted in Detroit Free Press, January 8 1861 wrong month?.

So let me sum this up a bitt the 3rd Michigan wore:

Gray Roundabouts Jackets (10 or 9 buttons possible), gray vests, gray trousers, and gray caps with company letters and alos with white Havelocks. For weapons they had sooth-bore muskets or rifled muskets. by the start of Bull Run they have received new uniforms to included linen trousers and new trousers. It appears that these were blue or black or some of each. At bull Rum they wore mixed color uniforms, but it is uncertain if the companies wore uniforms of different colors or men individually wore uniforms of mixed colors. After Bull Run they wore standard blue uniforms.

Major Bill, thank you for the great info concerning uniforms of the 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment. Your earlier post mentions:

"A period photograph of Company I show the men in gray jackets which closed with ten gilt buttons. These jackets had shoulder epaulettes with small gilt buttons near the neck. The sleeve cuffs lacked either buttons or trim. The jackets had unadorned standing collars. Gray trousers were worn, apparently without seam stripes for sergeants and corporals. The gray forage caps had a metal “I” for I Company centered at the front of the cap."

My GGGrandfather and his 3 brothers enlisted in Company "I" of the 3rd Michigan in June of 1861 and I was wondering if this period photo you mention might be available? How cool would that be if my ancestors might be in that photo!?

In Daniel G. Grotty's book "Four Years Campaigning In The Army Of The Patomac" (ISBN 1-883926-02-5) there is a photograph of Private Dennis Birmingham, Company "F" 3rd Michigan Voluntary Infantry (courtesy of USAMHI) that clearly shows this 9-button "roundabout" jacket you describe. Private Birmingham's jacket and trousers look slightly worn and faded in the picture. If this photo was taken in a Washington D.C. studio after the regiment arrived in Washington, but before they received their new Federal blue uniforms, it might indicate that after only 90 days of wear, the State supplied gray uniform materials weren't holding up well and already fading. Of course, not being a color photograph, this photo "could" actually show a faded dark blue jacket and light blue trousers (standard Federal uniform colors).
Pvt Birmingham.jpg

I will have to study this. I will need to find old letters written to me, but the only known image of the 3rd Michigan shows three of four brothers who joined Company I. I suspect that there were few sets of four brothers in Company I and this is probably an image of your family. I will at least find out the names of the four brothers as I think their names are on the copy of the photo I was sent. Are your ancestors the Taylor brothers?

Last edited:
This photo of Pvt. Birmingham has away mystified me a bit. He appears to wear a nine button jacket which I can not place. It almost looks like a federal frock coat cut down in to a jacket with cloth epaulets added but some details are different. I do not believe this to be a Michigan issued jacket. Usually Michigan made jackets had Michigan staff buttons and this jacket appears to have standard federal buttons. The is a photo of Joseph E Tupper of the 10 Michigan wearing the same uniform jacket

Last edited:
I will have to study this. I will need to find old letters written to me, but the only known image of the 3rd Michigan shows three of four brothers who joined Company I. I suspect that there were few sets of four brothers in Company I and this is probably an image of your family. I will at least find out the names of the four brothers as I think their names are on the copy of the photo I was sent. Are your ancestors the Taylor brothers?
Major Bill, have you had any luck finding those old letters with the photo that show the image of three or four brothers who joined the 3rd Michigan together? My direct ancestors in the 3rd were Isaac, Thomas, Benjamin, and John Waite, but my father's sister married a Taylor that may have had brother-ancestors who also joined the 3rd from the Rockford, MI area.

Yes I think I could send you a copy. Give me a PM (private message)and I will get that to you. It may take a couple days as my computer is in for some work and I don't think I can use this smart phone with my external hard drive. At least I am not sure how to get data from the external hard drive to a smart phone.

This is an image of the 3rd Michigan Infantry for those following this thread. I will try to dig up the ordinal image given to me but it is not tooo much better.

Taylor.jpg

In the letter that came with the copy of the image of the Taylor brothers Boob Bosch states that he believe the men to be Chauncey, James and John Taylor because he has an image of Martin Taylor and does not believe he is one of the brothers in the photograph. Mr. Bosch has a letter from Martin Taylor and sent me an image of Marin Taylor as well.

Taylor 3.jpg

In the letter that came with the copy of the image of the Taylor brothers Boob Bosch states that he believe the men to be Chauncey, James and John Taylor because he has an image of Martin Taylor and does not believe he is one of the brothers in the photograph. Mr. Bosch has a letter from Martin Taylor and sent me an image of Marin Taylor as well.

View attachment 98217

Bill, do you think this circa 1880 photo of Willard Taylor could be the same guy as the one in the middle in your photo?

Willard Taylor.jpg

Back