Early N. Carolina ironclad project?

georgew

First Sergeant
In thumbing through the dated entries in "Ironclads and Big Guns of the Confederacy" pg 51, I ran across part of the 30 November 1861 entry from Brooke's Journal that states "...Employed today revising specifications for an iron clad gunboat for the inland water of North Carolina by J.L. Kitchen..." Has anyone heard of this proposal? It is interesting to speculate if this had anything to do with the "Dismal Swamp" projects. I get the impression from the entries from the Brooke Journal that Brooke had a lot to do with the layout of the Virginia's casemate protection. He may have been the source of the rounded corners that appeared on Virigina (I), Georgia and the original layouts of the Dismal Swamp boats.

In thumbing through the dated entries in "Ironclads and Big Guns of the Confederacy" pg 51, I ran across part of the 30 November 1861 entry from Brooke's Journal that states "...Employed today revising specifications for an iron clad gunboat for the inland water of North Carolina by J.L. Kitchen..." Has anyone heard of this proposal? It is interesting to speculate if this had anything to do with the "Dismal Swamp" projects. I get the impression from the entries from the Brooke Journal that Brooke had a lot to do with the layout of the Virginia's casemate protection. He may have been the source of the rounded corners that appeared on Virigina (I), Georgia and the original layouts of the Dismal Swamp boats.
Georgew,
I asked if anyone knew anything about this very early on as a member. Didn't get anywhere, and I'm still none the wiser.

The rounded casemate descended from Porter's coast defence ship proposal, although it also appears in one of John M Brooke's sketches
J M BROOKE'S SKETCH.jpg

There was an article in Warship International that contended that making a rounded casemate was too difficult and beyond the technology of the Confederacy. Each piece of iron would have be cut on a taper on both sides as well as the back (near the conical top). Certainly it could be done, but not with the time the Confederacy had. The author suggested that it was more flat like the other Confederate ironclads. You'll have to contact the administrator of the International Naval Research Organization to buy a copy.

Georgew,

That post dates Porter's 1846 CDV plan and is contemporary with his 1861 version for the North Carolina State Governor.
Thanks Rebel. In reading the entry about this my understanding is that Brooke took Porter's proposal and model, changed it, noting: "...Constructor Porter's plan omitted the submerged ends, the extremities of the shield being on the bow and stern. My objection to the plan was that no speed could be obtained and the least head swell would enter the ports..." I read this as saying that Porter/Brooke were projecting this project before the modified Merrimack rebuild was proposed. The end of the entry states in part, "...I hope to have the pleasure of capturing one of their frigates with an iron plated boat..." In the entry for 28 June 1861 Brooke states, "...My plan for a floating battery will be applied to the Merrimac now at Norfolk..."

Thanks Rebel. In reading the entry about this my understanding is that Brooke took Porter's proposal and model, changed it, noting: "...Constructor Porter's plan omitted the submerged ends, the extremities of the shield being on the bow and stern. My objection to the plan was that no speed could be obtained and the least head swell would enter the ports..." I read this as saying that Porter/Brooke were projecting this project before the modified Merrimack rebuild was proposed. The end of the entry states in part, "...I hope to have the pleasure of capturing one of their frigates with an iron plated boat..." In the entry for 28 June 1861 Brooke states, "...My plan for a floating battery will be applied to the Merrimac now at Norfolk..."
Well, here is Porter's 1846 proposal:

Sorry, here is the 1861 plan based on his 1846 proposal:
PORTER'S IRONCLAD 1861.jpg

And here is the North Carolina coast defence vessel
NORTH CAROLINA CDV.jpg

To be honest I think that much as I like him, John Brooke was trying to claim benefit of something that wasn''t his to claim. I will leave it to your judgment to decide.

Looking at this design I wonder just what seakeeping would be like. I have a hunch any attempt to leave sheltered waters would prove fatal to the crew...

Back