Eagle Brand Lemon Icebox Pie

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Eagle Brand Condensed Milk was created in 1856 by Gail Borden. It was introduced to fight food poisoning and other illnesses related to lack of refrigeration. The Civil War helped the brand. The military needed milk and Borden's products filled the need.

Eagle Brand has many recipes posted at its site. One of the favorites is Lemon Icebox Pie. The recipe my Granny always used was:

1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup finely crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cup water
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
6 tablespoons lemon juice

Melt butter, stir in wafer crumbs. Press firmly into bottom and sides of 9 inch pie plate and chill.
Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup water. Heat until dissolved. Set aside.
Combine condensed milk, remaining water and lemon juice. Mix well. Stir in gelatin mixture.

Pour into prepared crust. Chill 3 hours or until firm.

I remember this dessert! When I was a child, my mother used to make it for hot summer nights. I never knew her recipe--but I'll bet this is it (or is very similar)! Thank you!

My family is continuing to enjoy the "historic" pies from the CWT "Foods & Recipes Forum" I've been serving them for Thanksgiving. This pie, which we had for yesterday's dessert, was the fifth I've made from recipes that members have shared here. Keep them coming!

Back