Dyer Field, Chickamauga

Not if you know the right people :wink:All those that show up in uniform get special treatment from the park rangers. Nice '42 you are hanging onto Mike.

DSC07724.jpg

My kids still had a large enough ledge to walk on, other wise I would not let them walk down there. The angle that I took it from makes it look more dangerous than it really was. We hiked the trails all over the mountain and there were more scary spots along them than this one.

Yep, it's pretty much straight down for a while - I can't say how far. But the whole mountain is mostly granite, so if you do happen to fall, after the first fifty feet or so it's just a mathmatics exercise - for the coroner.

I jad always wondered how H**ker's troops managed to climb up those rocks. The slope of the mountain is steep, but manageable, until about halfway up when you are faced with a wall of granite.

Then I finally understood that the Union soldiers didn't climb the granite bolders, they just sort of circumnavigated it from the West until they hit the plateau where the Cravens House stood about halfway up the mountain. Once that plateau was seized (after a rather fiece little fight), the Confederates considered their position on Lookout Mountain to be flanked. with H**ker's forces in a position to cut off the Confederate batteries and infantry on top of the mountain from the rest of Bragg's army at Lookout Creek and Missionary Ridge, they withdrew so as to save the artillary.

As a Boy Scout, my first hike was on the Blue Bever Trail which traced the path of H**ker's forces up to the Craven House. Then we took the Incline Railway back down the mountain.

Actually we were there filming a movie for the Park Service and one of the scenes was a group of Federal soldiers cheering out on the lookout. It was an honor to be able to get out there, always wanted to. I just wished my buddy would have backed up a little farther to get more of the rock umbrella.

Back