Dwight Eisenhower on Lee and Secession

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
That's as right as rain, you can do anything you want and lots of Southerners would agree, but I can't list anyone who fired on the flag as an American hero. I feel the same way about any West Point graduate who took up arms against the flag they once swore allegiance to.

Mulejack

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Lee was well respected as an engineer and small units leader, within the army, but without the civil war who would know or care that Lee had ever existedl?
Whatever the fame he has in the history books, it exists as an enemy of the United States.

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
Lee was well respected as an engineer and small units leader, within the army, but without the civil war who would know or care that Lee had ever existedl?
Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, Thomas and hundreds of otherw would be unknown as well. What's your point?

Whatever the fame he has in the history books, it exists as an enemy of the United States.
No, he is also famed and revered for the major role he played in healing the wounds of this country after a long and terrible war. It could have been much different, and in most civil wars it IS much different.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
The point is, the estimable qualities Eisenhower, feels, made Lee a great American, to be emulated were used in a war gainst the United States; unlike, Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Meade etc.

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
The point is, the estimable qualities Eisenhower, feels, made Lee a great American, to be emulated were used in a war gainst the United States; unlike, Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Meade etc.
And it was those same qualities that allowed Lee to demonstrate to the country how to achieve peace with honor when the war was over. How many times in human history has the loser of a conflict had the courage, integrity, and forbearance, and the respect of his countrymen, to be able to do that?

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
Reading Mr. Scott's quiry and the reply, was that all Eisenhower was saying?
If this question is directed to me, I was replying to your previous post, which I quoted, not to Eisenhower's letter. Eisenhower did indeed say a lot more than that, and other than the error about "believing unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause", I agree with him.

Alabamian, living behind enemy lines in Illinois
If this question is directed to me, I was replying to your previous post, which I quoted, not to Eisenhower's letter. Eisenhower did indeed say a lot more than that, and other than the error about "believing unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause", I agree with him.
So do I.
My estimation of this thread is that it is an attempt to throw dirt on IKE because he admired Lee.... Ike had no reason to defer to any man in regard to a life well lived.

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
And whom on this thread said he had too? I have been one thats been disparaging of Ike's writing in this thread, and its not to throw dirt on Ike because he admired Lee.. Its because I believe he was incorrect in what he said about Lee and secession...Ike was a great general and President, but that doesnt mean he gets a walk if he states things that contridicts what Lee actually said and wrote...As Brass states the rest of his letter I can certainly agree with also.. I haven't seen a single post on this thread that attacked Ike personally or can be seen as attempt to throw dirt on him other then related to a civil war discussion...Somehow, if Ike was talking about Sherman and his campaigns, Im sure there would be others on this forum that would be more then happy to discuss why he felt that way...
So let me come up to speed here, we can't comment or discuss Lee or issues he might have had and now we can't comment on things that other people said about him that puts him in a positive light? However, if an author writes something that puts Lee in a unfavorable light then that author is fair game?

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Once, again, Is it true that the estimable qualities that impressed Eisenhower, were most visibly and actively displayed in his attempt to divide the Union by military force?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!