Dwight Eisenhower on Lee and Secession

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
Mutton? Not sure of that.....
Oooo, you gotta get to Owensboro, Kentucky sometime. THEN you'll be quite sure of it! We were just discussing that the other night, on some other thread that had absolutely nothing to do with it. :laugh1:

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
Ike loved to cook. Beef soup was one of his specialties. Some of his favorite foods were soups - oxtail and cream of artichoke, in particular. Other favorite foods included pie, rice pudding, and succotash.
Hmmm. I think I'll stick with the mutton. :tongue:

Rob9641

Captain
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Much like Lee, Eisenhower, seems, at times, to have been too dependent upon sentiment, to reach a foregone conclusion, rather than rigorous logic or knowledge of history.

mulejack

Sergeant
When all of your life you've been taught "I pledge allegiance to the flag" it's almost impossible to forgive a West Point graudate for taking up arms against that flag.

Mulejack

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
When all of your life you've been taught "I pledge allegiance to the flag" it's almost impossible to forgive a West Point graudate for taking up arms against that flag.

Mulejack
Try harder. Lincoln did, Grant did, and they had a lot more at stake than you do.

mulejack

Sergeant
The values I've held all my life are God and country, I'm supposed to alter those value's for those I consider to be traitors, not on your life.

Mulejack

brass napoleon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Member of the Year
Honored Fallen Comrade
The values I've held all my life are God and country, I'm supposed to alter those value's for those I consider to be traitors, not on your life.

Mulejack
Then wallow in your hatred. It's no skin off my nose.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Interestingly, Mr. Scott's main charge in his letter is the one Eisenhower attempts to answer only in passing(if at all).
Is it a true statement that "The most outstanding thing that Robert E. Lee did was to devote his best efforts to the destruction of the United Statees Government, and I am sure that you do not say that a person who tries to destroy our Governent is worthy of being hailed as one of our heroes."(empahasis mine)
Would Lee's best efforts include destroying the United States Gov't, if need be? Lee was using his best efforts to tear the United States asunder, could he cavil at destroying its gov't to win Southern Independence?

BillO

Captain
Lee was a professional soldier and a man of conflicted loyalties when he made his decision. Once made he acted on it as a professional. Whatever your feelings about the war you should respect his commitment and his professionalism. Heinz Guderian was a professional but fought for the nazis. I don't care a fig for nazis but I have a great respect for him trying to do his duty to the best of his abilites. I also have a great respect for Sherman.

mulejack

Sergeant
Thankfully, we Americans are an opinionated lot and able to post them on message boards without fear of the law.

I personally have learned more about Civil War events just browsing through these threads than all the books I've read.

Mulejack

Glorybound

Major
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
I personally have learned more about Civil War events just browsing through these threads than all the books I've read.

Mulejack
Yeah, I can identify with that myself. When I first joined this board in '05 under a different username I thought I was fairly well informed on the war. After all, I had read both of Catton's trilogies, Foote's trilogy, McPherson's Pulitzer prize winning "Battle Cry of Freedom", plus numerous other books on different battles like Shiloh, The Wilderness, Gettysburg, Antietam Creek, Perryville etc., and several regimental histories, plus some soldier's diaries. Soon after joining, and I believe I've mentioned this before not too long ago, I discovered quite quickly that I was a "lightweight", as far as knowledge of the war, and I still consider myself to be such, even after all this time. This board is a never-ending fount of information, and I don't see it running dry anytime soon.

Lee

mulejack

Sergeant
By the way, Lee listening to Foote is another great learning experience and as you mentioned I too once believed I knew quite a lot about the Civil War. Until a few months ago when I joined this board.

Mulejack

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Did Eisenhower's reply, deal with Mr. Scott's contention of how it ws possible for 'Ike' to hail Lee as one of 'our' heroes based on what Lee was actually doing in the war?
As noted by Mr. Scott, did Lee do more for the confederacy, than he had ever done for the United States, before or after the war??