1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Dug Civil War Sword

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by De Eppresso Liber, Dec 17, 2016.

1. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

I'm excited for you, people spend years searching and they don't even come close to such a great find, nice one, you should keep going whilst lady luck smiles down on you.:thumbsup:
    Happy Hunting.

De Eppresso Liber and JohnW. like this.
  4. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

You really do need to get that sword preserved by electrolysis and coat with wax if not it will start flaking and in time will disappear into a pile of iron dust.

5. 48th Miss.

48th Miss. Sergeant

Do you think it could be a service academy sword? They are small like this. At least the ones I have seen. Are there any Military schools in the area??

De Eppresso Liber and JohnW. like this.
  6. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

No Military schools in that area. but has I said before Shiloh, Corinth and Farmington were early war battles and most of the CS troops were still equipped with early war or pre war weapons. With the 3 rivets its not a Starr and I'm going with an early War of 1812 or Mexican War period sword. What you have to remember is that a lot of CS soldiers, officers etc left home with items that belong to their fathers or even grandfathers. Get it cleaned

7. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

Awesome whatever era it comes from!

8. Albert Sailhorst

Albert Sailhorst 2nd Lieutenant

Cool find!....Thanks for sharing with us!

De Eppresso Liber likes this.
  9. zburkett

zburkett Sergeant

Many Confederate soldiers started the war with the equipment and uniforms they used in the Mexican war a decade earlier. It was also common for local militia companies to start the war in their uniforms. Without getting very lucky it will be very hard to totally ID it other than being a great find.

10. TomP

TomP Private

Fascinating! Where in Corinth did you find it? Depending on where it was found could possibly give an indication as to why and when it was there. Stop by the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center on Linden St and we can talk about war-time activities in that part of town.

Tom

11. Shermanwasaterrorist

Shermanwasaterrorist Private

Man oh man! What a thrill you must've had when that "iron" turned out to be a treasure. I had that rush of anxiety and awe just reading the post and seeing the reward. I just have to say no matter what era, manufacturer, hilt, corrosion rate, provenance etc. No matter any of the narratives discussed and/or debate you have found a true treasure! In the end if you share the passion of history and of touching history. If you are a preservationist not a profiteer then you know opinions are like "NSFW" we all got one but, we all don't got a dug sword! Awesome discovery. Thanks for letting me see it.

Waterloo50 likes this.
  12. Shermanwasaterrorist

Shermanwasaterrorist Private

Man oh man! What a thrill you must've had when that "iron" turned out to be a treasure. I had that rush of anxiety and awe just reading the post and seeing the reward. I just have to say no matter what era, manufacturer, hilt, corrosion rate, provenance etc. No matter any of the narratives discussed and/or debate you have found a true treasure! In the end if you share the passion of history and of touching history. If you are a preservationist not a profiteer then you know opinions are like "NSFW" we all got one but, we all don't got a dug sword! Awesome discovery. Thanks for letting me see it.
    (Sorry, for double posting, remember I'm a Georgian we ain't too bright)

13. 12th Missouri Yankee

12th Missouri Yankee Sergeant

Awesome Find! really an exciting treasure.

De Eppresso Liber and Waterloo50 like this.
  14. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Corporal Trivia Game Winner

you would think the broken blade might still around the same area nice find.

15. RebelHeart

RebelHeart Corporal

It might say...
    "I broke the first time someone swung me and I was dropped as he got hacked to pieces...." :rofl:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)