Duff Green Mansion, Vicksburg, Mississippi

Thanks for posting!
You're welcome.

Here is the second team from a different radio station that investigated the House last weekend,

News Mississippi Goes Ghost Hunting.. Duff Green Mansion, A Home and A Haunt
VICKSBURG, Miss– News Mississippi’s Chelsea Corona and Courtney Carter joined Mississippi Paranormal Society for a paranormal investigation at Duff Green Mansion.

When you’re standing at the bottom of the stairs leading to the front of Duff Green Mansion, it’s easy to note the old paint peeling off the iron work, and the discoloration of the wood that dates back to 1856.

Aside from that, the house is beautiful. Immediately this reporter resorted back to the normal skepticism. This place was too pretty to be haunted. Floor to ceiling windows, a courtyard, ballrooms, parlors, dining rooms–this is a preserved in history, but forgotten because of the economy.

Duff Green had the mansion built for his bride Mary in 1856. It was a wedding present to fit her one request.

“She wanted to have parties here,” says Brian Riley, founder of Mississippi Paranormal Society.

During the Siege of Vicksburg in the Civil War, the house was volunteered as a soldier’s hospital so that it wouldn’t be destroyed. It housed Union and Confederate soldiers.

“The room beneath the parlor is where they did the amputations,” says Riley, “people say they have seen soldiers without legs in the guestrooms.”

- See more at: http://www.newsms.fm/news-mississip...green-mansion-home-haunt/#sthash.uL4iuluF.dpu

http://www.newsms.fm/news-mississippi-goes-ghost-hunting-duff-green-mansion-home-haunt/

I cannot imagine staying in a bed and breakfast that served as a military hospital but then to each his own.
The Civil War picture posted by 7th Mississippi was great, by the way.
I have stayed at the Fairfield in in Fairfield, Pa. twice. Although it was not a hospital, it was used by a couple of generals during the Battle of Fairfield (Part of the Gettysburg Campaign) including William"Grumble" Jones. It was also a stop on the underground Railway. It didn't bother me, although we had a couple of "experiences" there. Very cool, lots of history!

For some reason the Duff Green Mansion gave me chills looking at the photograph.
I admire historical inns. Thanks for the information about the Fairfield.

Ghosts : Field Report of Duff Green Mansion in Vicksburg, Mississippi
Written By: Rick Garner and Dean McKnight of WJTV.com

Posted: 12/11/2002 12:00:00 AM

Breakfast Cook Catherine Miller is emphatic in her opinion of the Duff Green, "To me, the Duff Green Mansion is one of the most beautiful places I have every worked."

Employee Lib Galloway agrees, "You know, as many people that have died in this house - it’s gonna feel spooky. However, it didn’t. I felt like the house was sheltering me, protecting me, and taking care of me."

Duff Green Mansion in Vicksburg was built in 1856. Then, the home of Duff and Mary Green, the young home would be faced with destruction during the Civil War. Cannonballs ripped through its upper floors five times before Mary Green raised a yellow flag from the roof. This signified that the home was a hospital and both sides - Union and Confederate soldiers - were tended to in the mansion. However, Union wounded were kept on the upper floor, just in case a wayward cannonball pierced the house, again.

Today, Duff Green is one of the nation’s most elite bed and breakfast inns, restored to its former beauty with the tender care of Harry and Alicia Sharp. Restoring the home took over two years, and the Sharps soon learned they were not alone in the mansion.

Employee Brian Riley says, "This paranormal activity that happens...it happens 24 hours a day at any given time. You just never know when it’s going to happen."

Miller says she’s encountered the original owner more than 10 times, "I was standing there over the stove stirring my grits, and I felt this rubbing on my shoulders. I thought someone had walked in behind me - teasing me or something like that. But I looked back and there wasn’t anyone there. Then, I knew it was Mrs. Green."

Miller has seen Mary Green and described her as a beautiful woman with blonde hair. Owner Harry Sharp has also seen Mary Green. "I saw something move out of the corner of my eye and I turned around and saw her floating. I could see her and the back of her large antebellum dress...it was green...and then she vanished (snap) just like that."

The Dixie Room as its called today once served as an operating room during the Siege of Vicksburg. Amputated arms and legs were once accounted as being "piled as high as the ceiling." Paranormal sightings in this room number at nearly fifty - all different, unrelated individuals who knew nothing about the room being haunted.

Sharp says, "The sighting is of the same Confederate veteran, sitting by the fireplace with his amputated leg staring straight ahead."

The Green’s daughter, who died young, bounces a ball and runs up and down the steps. Sharp has heard the footsteps on several occasions.

So has Lib Galloway, "I would call thinking it was the innkeeper. Nobody answered and I’d come in the house. Not a person was in the house...not a live one anyway."

Sharp also shared how a crime scene investigator from Louisiana was taking pictures one day outside of the Duff Green. The image shocked both the investigator and Duff employees. A distinct black figure with a transparent head is clearly visible standing on the steps.

David Sharp says he once thought the sound of footsteps was so real, that he assumed it was his dad walking into the room. He began speaking to him and when he turned expecting to see him, no one else was in the room. However, the photograph of the black figure was far more disturbing to him. "That really shook me up, because I knew the place was haunted but I never wanted to see a ghost, and I saw that on camera and didn’t really wanna stay here anymore."

Even on the day of our investigation, there was more unexplained. Employee Brian Riley says,"I walked down the hall and peeked into the Dixie Room and all the lights were on. So, I turned them off and left. About two minutes later, I came back through and peeked back in and all the lights were back on - that happened two or three times today."

Even while we were there, something surprised us all. A shelf that had been there some time was found collapsed and twisted. Harry Sharp was surprised by the find as the shelf was fine just two days prior - standing against the wall. We examined the shelf and found all the weight to be on the bottom, which made it seem even stranger that the shelf was twisted down and if almost stepped on by an unseen force.

Throughout the evening, we took seventy pictures. The camera says they are there but the images are inaccessible. Something else that remains to be unexplained.

Lib Galloway summed up our visit to Duff Green well, "Well, I used to think that anybody who believed in haints or ghosts had to be an idiot, but after I experienced some myself I decided its the height of arrogance to say I don’t understand therefore it does not exist. I don’t know what it is, but I know what I’ve seen and what I’ve heard and I know there’s something."

1856 - House built by Duff and Mary Green

1861 - the iron grillwork of the balconies was cut off and donated to the Confederate Army for the manufacturing of ammunition.

Late 1860’s - House used as hospital and home for displaced soldiers.

1880 - Greens sold mansion it to Peatross family

1880 - The platforms of the balconies were removed

1880-1930 - Sold to be an orphanage and nursing home

1931- Salvation Army purchased home for $3000 to be organization’s local headquarters.

1985 - Sharps purchased mansion, having never been renovated or restored since it was built in 1856. Sharps undertook a two-and-a-half-year restoration with the approval of the U.S. Department of the Interior. In some rooms, they stripped as many as 27 coats of paint from the walls. Twelve-foot doors between the library and dining room were stripped to reveal solid cypress wood, which the Sharps left unpainted so that its lovely grain could be admired. They replaced missing fixtures, including all of the home’s chandeliers and all but two of its thirteen original mantels. They learned that, through the years, the Salvation Army had sold the fixtures & chandeliers to raise operational funds. Original molds are located for the balconies and they, too, are restored.

Known Ghosts of Duff Green:

Mary Green: - She has been seen numerous times by several employees. Described as beautiful with blonde hair with green dress.. She has made physical contact with the breakfast cook, massaging her shoulders while the cook makes breakfast.

Young Green Daughter - Bounces a ball down the main staircase and runs up and down stairs. Also, seen as small child with blond hair and wearing a white nightgown.

Confederate solider - Always seen in Dixie Room sitting in chair with amputated leg and staring blankly ahead. 50 different guests have seen this solider, not knowing about him.

Attic white light - Central heating and air repair crews have reported a white light zipping around the attic.

Figure on step - Photographic evidence of entity on front steps. Cleanly a dark humanoid figure with translucent head.

Lady in white - Reported by one guest standing near her bed when she awoke from sleep.

Footsteps - Heard constantly in hallways and outside.

For the rest,

http://www.paranormalnews.com/article.aspx?id=461
Harry Sharp treated my wife and me to several free nights in the Duff Green Mansion not long after it was opened to guests.
Beautiful home and we loved the entire visit.

We saw no ghosts in the house or on the grounds.
The ghosts most likely exist inside the minds of people who want them to be real so badly that they "experience their presence"
Didn't see bigfoot, the chubracaba or any flying saucers either.

Harry Sharp treated my wife and me to several free nights in the Duff Green Mansion not long after it was opened to guests.
Beautiful home and we loved the entire visit.

We saw no ghosts in the house or on the grounds.
The ghosts most likely exist inside the minds of people who want them to be real so badly that they "experience their presence"
Didn't see bigfoot, the chubracaba or any flying saucers either.
Hah !

Ya'll must have done something to upset the ghosts.

Perhaps the spirits didn't want to "hang out" with Mister and Mizz Biscoitos.

:whistling:

Actually . . . if one reads everything, Harry Sharp substantiated this topic.
As the owner, he would know more about what goes on within that mansion than a weekend guest.

Last edited:
Hah !

Ya'll must have done something to upset the ghosts.

Perhaps the spirits didn't want to "hang out" with Mister and Mizz Biscoitos.

:whistling:

Actually . . . if one reads everything, Harry Sharp substantiated this topic.
As the owner, he would know more about what goes on within that mansion than a weekend guest.

Actually I said "several free nights". Nothing was said about which day/nights of the week.
It's almost as if your imagination led you to an incorrect belief. Maybe not the first time that has happened.

Actually I said "several free nights". Nothing was said about which day/nights of the week.
It's almost as if your imagination led you to an incorrect belief. Maybe not the first time that has happened.
I was only joking.
No disrespect at all.

My intent was not to upset you, but only add a little Halloween fun for the members that look at the "hauntings" forum.

I was only joking.
No disrespect at all.

My intent was not to upset you, but only add a little Halloween fun for the members that look at the "hauntings" forum.
You didn't upset me.
I too, was just having a little fun, I'm serious when I say that.

FWIW, I did not know that there was such a forum.
I simply saw the post about the Duff Green mansion on the CWT "home page."

Did you 7th Mississippi guys ever get the historical marker about the train wreck near Ponchatoula replaced?
Considering the political climate today, sadly it may get "stolen" every time it gets out back up (stolen by the same "mob rule" people that have pulled down so many statues.

Did you 7th Mississippi guys ever get the historical marker about the train wreck near Ponchatoula replaced?
Considering the political climate today, sadly it may get "stolen" every time it gets out back up (stolen by the same "mob rule" people that have pulled down so many statues.
I'm pretty sure that marker was replaced within a year or two, but I believe it was also stolen.

Last I heard, there was a discussion to avoid future thefts by replacing the originals with resin duplicates.
But to answer your question, I honestly don't know.

However, it was a an impressive Marker:
Photo362321o.jpg

Last edited:
An interesting story, thanks for posting it. There are many things we do not understand in this world. That doesn't mean are not real. If you believe in the Bible then you have to believe in ghosts. Jesus told people in a village: "do not fear us we are not ghosts." They also talked of hauntings in the New Testament.

Ghosts : Field Report of Duff Green Mansion in Vicksburg, Mississippi
Written By: Rick Garner and Dean McKnight of WJTV.com

Posted: 12/11/2002 12:00:00 AM

Breakfast Cook Catherine Miller is emphatic in her opinion of the Duff Green, "To me, the Duff Green Mansion is one of the most beautiful places I have every worked."

Employee Lib Galloway agrees, "You know, as many people that have died in this house - it’s gonna feel spooky. However, it didn’t. I felt like the house was sheltering me, protecting me, and taking care of me."

Duff Green Mansion in Vicksburg was built in 1856. Then, the home of Duff and Mary Green, the young home would be faced with destruction during the Civil War. Cannonballs ripped through its upper floors five times before Mary Green raised a yellow flag from the roof. This signified that the home was a hospital and both sides - Union and Confederate soldiers - were tended to in the mansion. However, Union wounded were kept on the upper floor, just in case a wayward cannonball pierced the house, again.

Today, Duff Green is one of the nation’s most elite bed and breakfast inns, restored to its former beauty with the tender care of Harry and Alicia Sharp. Restoring the home took over two years, and the Sharps soon learned they were not alone in the mansion.

Employee Brian Riley says, "This paranormal activity that happens...it happens 24 hours a day at any given time. You just never know when it’s going to happen."

Miller says she’s encountered the original owner more than 10 times, "I was standing there over the stove stirring my grits, and I felt this rubbing on my shoulders. I thought someone had walked in behind me - teasing me or something like that. But I looked back and there wasn’t anyone there. Then, I knew it was Mrs. Green."

Miller has seen Mary Green and described her as a beautiful woman with blonde hair. Owner Harry Sharp has also seen Mary Green. "I saw something move out of the corner of my eye and I turned around and saw her floating. I could see her and the back of her large antebellum dress...it was green...and then she vanished (snap) just like that."

The Dixie Room as its called today once served as an operating room during the Siege of Vicksburg. Amputated arms and legs were once accounted as being "piled as high as the ceiling." Paranormal sightings in this room number at nearly fifty - all different, unrelated individuals who knew nothing about the room being haunted.

Sharp says, "The sighting is of the same Confederate veteran, sitting by the fireplace with his amputated leg staring straight ahead."

The Green’s daughter, who died young, bounces a ball and runs up and down the steps. Sharp has heard the footsteps on several occasions.

So has Lib Galloway, "I would call thinking it was the innkeeper. Nobody answered and I’d come in the house. Not a person was in the house...not a live one anyway."

Sharp also shared how a crime scene investigator from Louisiana was taking pictures one day outside of the Duff Green. The image shocked both the investigator and Duff employees. A distinct black figure with a transparent head is clearly visible standing on the steps.

David Sharp says he once thought the sound of footsteps was so real, that he assumed it was his dad walking into the room. He began speaking to him and when he turned expecting to see him, no one else was in the room. However, the photograph of the black figure was far more disturbing to him. "That really shook me up, because I knew the place was haunted but I never wanted to see a ghost, and I saw that on camera and didn’t really wanna stay here anymore."

Even on the day of our investigation, there was more unexplained. Employee Brian Riley says,"I walked down the hall and peeked into the Dixie Room and all the lights were on. So, I turned them off and left. About two minutes later, I came back through and peeked back in and all the lights were back on - that happened two or three times today."

Even while we were there, something surprised us all. A shelf that had been there some time was found collapsed and twisted. Harry Sharp was surprised by the find as the shelf was fine just two days prior - standing against the wall. We examined the shelf and found all the weight to be on the bottom, which made it seem even stranger that the shelf was twisted down and if almost stepped on by an unseen force.

Throughout the evening, we took seventy pictures. The camera says they are there but the images are inaccessible. Something else that remains to be unexplained.

Lib Galloway summed up our visit to Duff Green well, "Well, I used to think that anybody who believed in haints or ghosts had to be an idiot, but after I experienced some myself I decided its the height of arrogance to say I don’t understand therefore it does not exist. I don’t know what it is, but I know what I’ve seen and what I’ve heard and I know there’s something."

1856 - House built by Duff and Mary Green

1861 - the iron grillwork of the balconies was cut off and donated to the Confederate Army for the manufacturing of ammunition.

Late 1860’s - House used as hospital and home for displaced soldiers.

1880 - Greens sold mansion it to Peatross family

1880 - The platforms of the balconies were removed

1880-1930 - Sold to be an orphanage and nursing home

1931- Salvation Army purchased home for $3000 to be organization’s local headquarters.

1985 - Sharps purchased mansion, having never been renovated or restored since it was built in 1856. Sharps undertook a two-and-a-half-year restoration with the approval of the U.S. Department of the Interior. In some rooms, they stripped as many as 27 coats of paint from the walls. Twelve-foot doors between the library and dining room were stripped to reveal solid cypress wood, which the Sharps left unpainted so that its lovely grain could be admired. They replaced missing fixtures, including all of the home’s chandeliers and all but two of its thirteen original mantels. They learned that, through the years, the Salvation Army had sold the fixtures & chandeliers to raise operational funds. Original molds are located for the balconies and they, too, are restored.

Known Ghosts of Duff Green:

Mary Green: - She has been seen numerous times by several employees. Described as beautiful with blonde hair with green dress.. She has made physical contact with the breakfast cook, massaging her shoulders while the cook makes breakfast.

Young Green Daughter - Bounces a ball down the main staircase and runs up and down stairs. Also, seen as small child with blond hair and wearing a white nightgown.

Confederate solider - Always seen in Dixie Room sitting in chair with amputated leg and staring blankly ahead. 50 different guests have seen this solider, not knowing about him.

Attic white light - Central heating and air repair crews have reported a white light zipping around the attic.

Figure on step - Photographic evidence of entity on front steps. Cleanly a dark humanoid figure with translucent head.

Lady in white - Reported by one guest standing near her bed when she awoke from sleep.

Footsteps - Heard constantly in hallways and outside.

For the rest,

http://www.paranormalnews.com/article.aspx?id=461
The employee "Lib Galloway" was my next door neighbor when I lived in Vicksburg - they got her name wrong however. She was Elizabeth "Lib" Gasaway, and she was the author of "Grey Wolf, Grey Sea," a history of U-124 during World War 2. Lib became friends with former German Admiral Karl Donitz while researching the book, and he wrote the forward to it. Lib wore a gold U-Boat necklace that was given to her by Donitz, and she had an autographed picture of him on her wall at home.

Lib became friends with former German Admiral Karl Donitz while researching the book, and he wrote the forward to it. Lib wore a gold U-Boat necklace that was given to her by Donitz, and she had an autographed picture of him on her wall at home.
That is just too cool.

Admiral Donitz had a Mississippi connection ?

Wow !

I knew we had quite a few Afrika Korps Generals at the Clinton POW Camp.
But other than the sinking of U-166 in the Gulf of Mexico, I wasn't aware of other Kriegsmarine connections.

That's very interersting !

Last edited:
Back