Drewry’s Bluff, May 15, 1862

Charlie Robbins

Private
Friends: I would like to ask the help of our membership in resolving an issue for me. In the 1862 engagement at Drewry’s Bluff between the Federal naval forces and the Confederate forces ashore, the Confederate defenders were composed of both army and navy components. The armament of the army component is well know and undisputed: two 8” and one 10” Columbiands mounted along the edge of the bluff where the walls of the fort now stand. The armament of the navy component , manned by personnel from what became the James River Squadron and including crew members of the now scuttled CSS Virginia, is not so easily identified. It seems that every work I consult has a different listing and location. Mostly they agree that their weapons were drawn from the ships present ( including those sunk to block the river). Does anyone believe that they have an accurate listing of the naval guns present in the Confederate defenses at this time? I will be grateful if you could share this information. Thanks in advance!

1 x 10"SB , 2 x 8" SB plus captain Tuckers Rifled cannon on the waterfront and field pieces inside the fort defending the earthwork from land attack.

1 x 10"SB , 2 x 8" SB plus captain Tuckers Rifled cannon on the waterfront and field pieces inside the fort defending the earthwork from land attack.
Thanks! The 10” and two 8” were the Army guns mentioned. I have heard of up to six additional Navy guns mentioned, including on in a not very successful casemate.

Back