Dr. Mary Walker Graphic Novel

Mike Serpa

Major
A graphic novel of Medal of Honor recipient Dr. Mary Walker is available to read online or download free as a pdf. It fits as much of her life as possible in 11 pages. It is Volume 2, Issue 3 in a series published by the Association of the United States Army. I don't know if any more issues will be available but I hope they will continue to publish them.

It's worth a few minutes of your time to read it at the link below. (She is held prisoner at Castle Thunder in Richmond!)
https://online.flowpaper.com/77a9072e/MedalofHonorMaryWalker/#page=1

The rest of the series can be found at the link below and includes Alvin York, Roy Benavidez and others.
https://www.ausa.org/medal-honor-graphic-novels

@Gary Morgan Yes!
I would totally have eaten this up as a kid. I would have read it, read it again, re-told the story to my mom (and maybe a sibling or a hapless friend or two), possibly traced some of the pictures, and definitely kept my eyes open at the library for other interesting-looking books with blue kepis on the cover.
Matter of fact, that's kind of what I did...
Heck, I even like it now.
Great find, Mike!

What a great publication -- thanks so much for pointing to this! I've always enjoyed this kind of presentation, such as the classics comic books that were published when I was a kid.

Roy B.
You're welcome. I used to go to a dentist that had a children's Bible in the waiting room. It was pictures and a little text. I used to read it.

Wicked cool! I always thought that someone should do a series on Civil War stories for kids to get them hooked. If you look around at re-enactments and Civil War Round Tables, there's definitely a tendency toward gentlemen of a certain age. We need to get some young blood in these groups!
We do need young blood to follow behind us.

@Gary Morgan Yes!
I would totally have eaten this up as a kid. I would have read it, read it again, re-told the story to my mom (and maybe a sibling or a hapless friend or two), possibly traced some of the pictures, and definitely kept my eyes open at the library for other interesting-looking books with blue kepis on the cover.
Matter of fact, that's kind of what I did...
Heck, I even like it now.
Great find, Mike!
Thank you!

Wicked cool! I always thought that someone should do a series on Civil War stories for kids to get them hooked. If you look around at re-enactments and Civil War Round Tables, there's definitely a tendency toward gentlemen of a certain age. We need to get some young blood in these groups!
Yes, I agree! I would love to help with a project like this!

Back