Dr. Bonner

TerryB

Lt. Colonel
Dr. Bonner lived across the street from ancestors of mine in Holly Springs, Miss. His daughter wrote fiction under the name Sherwood Bonner. Bonner's link to Shiloh is that the state had him operate a hospital for casualties of the battle and other actions in northern Mississippi. He died of yellow fever in 1878.
The picture was in an album from 1865 that I inherited.
Dr Bonner (506x800) (2).jpg

Charles Bonner, Assistant Surgeon, PACS, was assigned to duty March 25, 1862 by Special Orders No. 68/15. Resigned June 14, 1863 (effective June 1, 1863) when the hospital was removed from Holly Springs, MS.

Canton Miss June 14th 1863
Genl S Cooper
Sir
I have the honor hereby respectfully to tender the resignation of my assignment to duty as Asst Surgeon P.A.C.S. in Hospital at Holly Springs Miss. The Hospital having been removed from that place, my age as well as the infirmities it induces, admonish me of the propriety of so doing. I respectfully ask that its acceptance take effect from 1st of June 1863.
Very Respectfully
Your Obt Servant
Charles Bonner
Asst Surgeon
1577932199925.png

Charles Bonner, Assistant Surgeon, PACS, was assigned to duty March 25, 1862 by Special Orders No. 68/15. Resigned June 14, 1863 (effective June 1, 1863) when the hospital was removed from Holly Springs, MS.

Canton Miss June 14th 1863
Genl S Cooper
Sir
I have the honor hereby respectfully to tender the resignation of my assignment to duty as Asst Surgeon P.A.C.S. in Hospital at Holly Springs Miss. The Hospital having been removed from that place, my age as well as the infirmities it induces, admonish me of the propriety of so doing. I respectfully ask that its acceptance take effect from 1st of June 1863.
Very Respectfully
Your Obt Servant
Charles Bonner
Asst Surgeon
View attachment 340745
So glad to see this! It's totally new to me!

William Faulkner used the name Charles Bon in one of his novels. The character was supposed to be based on Bonner, but not a very sympathetic one I'm sorry to say.

Back