Douglass, Frederick

"We are sometimes asked in the name of partiotism to forget the merits of this fearful struggle, and to remember with equal admiration those who struck at the nation's life, and those who struck to save it-those who fought for slavery and those who fought for liberty and justice. I am no minister of malice..., I would not repel the repentant, but...

may my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth if I forget the difference between the parties to that...bloody conflict."

UB,

Never see this quote before, don't normally cruise politically oriented threads, but this caught my attention and captured my basic feeling about this war very concisely, 100+ years before I thought it.

Climb to Glory

To The Top. :smile:

"We are beginning to get the cause of General Lee's death. Jefferson Davis says that, "he died of a broken heart;" and one journal has declared that he died being sadly depressed at the condition of the country, that he could stand it no longer. From which we are to infer, that the liberation of four millions of slaves and their elevation to manhood, and to the enjoyment of their civil and political rights was more than he could stand, so he died!"

--Frederick Douglass editorial, in the newspaper, The New National Era, Nov. 10, 1870.

I have somewhere in my collection several local Harrisburg newspaper articles when Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison visited the Harrisburg area. As your excellent examples from the above posts prove that Douglass was a man of immense courage, bold audacity and great intellect. David.

Back