Doors Open Gettysburg (Rare tour opportunity!)

Keystone79

Private
Doors Open Gettysburg

"Doors Open" events highlight historic preservation in cities and towns throughout the U.S. and internationally during National Historic Preservation Month each May. From 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., the National Park Service will open eight buildings on the Gettysburg battlefield to the public for a rare look at recent preservation projects and buildings badly in need of repair.

https://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?eventID=5142490-307230

Any idea which buildings? Nothing about it at the NPS site... Hope they are some of the few original buildings in the battlefield and not the restored ones...

Any idea which buildings? Nothing about it at the NPS site... Hope they are some of the few original buildings in the battlefield and not the restored ones...

They haven't specified in the press releases, but I'm sure they could tell you if you called or contacted them on Facebook. It sounds like the buildings are undergoing preservation work, so it very well could be original structures.

I remember seeing the list somewhere--Leister House, Blocher Farm House, Slyder blacksmith building, the Armory . . . I forget the rest. :smile:

It's definitely worth it if you can go. You get to be inside buildings you'd otherwise only be pressing your nose against the window glass!

It's definitely worth it if you can go. You get to be inside buildings you'd otherwise only be pressing your nose against the window glass!

I will be there :smile:

Was wondering whether the Codori House was one in the list.

Leister House. AKA Meade's headquarters. Are they getting rid of the Plexiglas and the blah blah button? Will be interesting to see

I will be there :smile:

Was wondering whether the Codori House was one in the list.

Leister House. AKA Meade's headquarters. Are they getting rid of the Plexiglas and the blah blah button? Will be interesting to see

I don't think the Codori house was one of them. :frown:

I remember seeing the list somewhere--Leister House, Blocher Farm House, Slyder blacksmith building, the Armory . . . I forget the rest. :smile:

The Brian House is one of them also.

Last year, Matt Atkinson was at the Leister House, and he let us go into the basement. Not much there to look at, but it's neat to say you've seen it. They also let us upstairs in the Brian House. Again, nothing really to see, just cool to have seen it. :smile:

The Gettysburg event will feature the Josiah Benner house; Blocher house; the Klingel house; the Leister house, also known as Meade’s Headquarters; the Brian house; the blacksmith shop at the Slyder farm; and two buildings at Gettysburg’s former National Guard Armory: the main armory building and the cannon carriage restoration shop that has been moved to the three-bay garage. Here is a link for a map showing each location:
http://www.destinationgettysburg.com/uploads/files/Doors Open Gettysburg Map.pdf
The article address is: http://www.destinationgettysburg.com/event/details/10404

I went to this today and had a good time. The weather wasn't bad and actually got pretty nice by the afternoon.

Last year, Matt Atkinson was at the Leister House, and he let us go into the basement. Not much there to look at, but it's neat to say you've seen it. They also let us upstairs in the Brian House. Again, nothing really to see, just cool to have seen it. :smile:

Based on the videos that I have seen. being around Matt Atkinson would be fun even if one is poking around a musty old basement!

I went to this today and had a good time. The weather wasn't bad and actually got pretty nice by the afternoon.

Ditto. I parked across the street from the Leister House, went in there, then walked to the Brian house, down to Emmitsburg Road and to the Klingle House. The first two were interesting. The "War Council" room of the Leister House feels smaller on the inside than when you peak through the window. Those ceilings were low :smile: Klingle House was a huge disappointment because it looks like someone's grandmother's house on the inside (60s carpet, floral couch and all.) The demo of period photography outside was cool, but nobody needed to see the inside of that house.

The weather was nice. Really moody in the morning and sunny later. But the fields were pretty wet after all that rain. Splashing and spattering around all day :smile:

Based on the videos that I have seen. being around Matt Atkinson would be fun even if one is poking around a musty old basement!

He's a fun guy.

MA.jpg

Ditto. I parked across the street from the Leister House, went in there, then walked to the Brian house, down to Emmitsburg Road and to the Klingle House. The first two were interesting. The "War Council" room of the Leister House feels smaller on the inside than when you peak through the window. Those ceilings were low :smile: Klingle House was a huge disappointment because it looks like someone's grandmother's house on the inside (60s carpet, floral couch and all.) The demo of period photography outside was cool, but nobody needed to see the inside of that house.

The weather was nice. Really moody in the morning and sunny later. But the fields were pretty wet after all that rain. Splashing and spattering around all day :smile:
Yeah but now you've got bragging rights!:D (Just don't tell anyone it looks like your grandma's living room.:cautious:)

Reactions: Bee
That's him! He did my two favourite "Bad Guy" lectures: Dirty Dan Sickles & Jubal Early. Loved him.
Have you seen his tours of Little Round Top and Devil's Den? He is so good interacting with the kids. I would love to have a tour with him!

Reactions: Bee
Back