Longstreet Don't Pelt Old Pete

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Just got my February 2018 Civil War Times. This articles is by Kristopher D. White

During the winter of 1862-63, Lt General James Longstreet's wife came to visit him and stayed close to the First Corps camps. Because she did not stay in the military camp proper, Longstreet rode to see her every morning. Longstreet's ride carried him through the huts of the famed "Texas Brigade." Every day that there was snow, the men of the brigade lined the officer's street, where they "saluted him with a shower of snow-balls." At first "Old Pete" took it in stride. But after a number of these occasions, he grew tired of the barrages. After the next snowfall, Longstreet approached the camp and found the Lone Star troops ready to let fly with their icy bombs. Before the Texans could unleash their volleys, "he reined up his horse, and said to them very quietly: "Throw your snow-balls men, if you want to, as much as you please; but if one of them touches me, not a man in the brigade shall have a furlough this winter. Remember that!" According to his aide, "there was no more snow-balling for General Longstreet's benefit."

Thanks @NH Civil War Gal for sharing! This excerpt seems especially appropriate to share in December. I love that the General made an effort to spend time with his wife. They had lost three of their children in January of the previous year (1862). I have read that he found it difficult to "cross the divide" between them after these tragic losses. I would like to think this time together helped them both. According to Jeffry Wert’s biography on my favorite General:

"Longstreet had his headquarters about a mile from Forest Hill and visited [his wife Louise] during the day when duty permitted. ...On some evenings, a regimental or brigade band serenaded the general and his wife. Longstreet spent each night with Louise.

Interestingly, the snowball incident happened in January 1863, while Maria Louisa was visiting. She gave birth to their son, named Robert Lee Longstreet, in Petersburg, VA on October 20, later that same year.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic - sorry @NH Civil War Gal - but I love this painting entitled, “War Is So Terrible” by Mort Kunstler. This painting depicts General Longstreet and General Lee on the morning of December 13, 1862 amid the melting snow at Fredericksburg. It was at this battle that Lee said to Longstreet “It is well that war is so terrible – we should grow too fond of it”.

longstreet_3.jpg

Wordpress

Just got my February 2018 Civil War Times. This articles is by Kristopher D. White

During the winter of 1862-63, Lt General James Longstreet's wife came to visit him and stayed close to the First Corps camps. Because she did not stay in the military camp proper, Longstreet rode to see her every morning. Longstreet's ride carried him through the huts of the famed "Texas Brigade." Every day that there was snow, the men of the brigade lined the officer's street, where they "saluted him with a shower of snow-balls." At first "Old Pete" took it in stride. But after a number of these occasions, he grew tired of the barrages. After the next snowfall, Longstreet approached the camp and found the Lone Star troops ready to let fly with their icy bombs. Before the Texans could unleash their volleys, "he reined up his horse, and said to them very quietly: "Throw your snow-balls men, if you want to, as much as you please; but if one of them touches me, not a man in the brigade shall have a furlough this winter. Remember that!" According to his aide, "there was no more snow-balling for General Longstreet's benefit."
Thanks for posting this. It shows a great deal about Longstreet's personality and leadership style. I've known officers who would have been all over those men at the first snowball, as well as some, thank God, who would have laughed it off- or thrown a snowball of their own. Guess which type we respected most....

There was also a major snowball battle between the troops of his corps on January 29, 1863, while quartered outside Fredericksburg.

In his memoir, Rebel Private: Front and Rear William A. Fletcher of the 5th Texas says:

At this place, I guess the greatest snowball battle of the age was fought. It started near where we were quartered, by two companies, and they were reinforced from time to time, spreading from company to company, to regiment from regiment, to brigade from brigade, to division by opposing forces consolidating as they passed from one on to others; officers soon joined in, both line and mounted field, and somewhat brought about order. Couriers could be seen going to and from, same as in battle, with horses at speed, so the word was passed to the front and as there was one encampment after another charged, the excitement was grand; regiment after regiment, brigade after brigade and division after division joined in until it was said the whole of Longstreet's corps had snow battled. When one tired he dropped out, and as I was one of the early participants, I did not see the ending; but it was reported that it ended about five miles from the place of beginning. All were defeated; all were victorious, as it were, with but two reported injured to mar the day's pleasure. There was an order issued prohibiting general snowballing.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic - sorry @NH Civil War Gal - but I love this painting entitled, “War Is So Terrible” by Mort Kunstler. This painting depicts General Longstreet and General Lee on the morning of December 13, 1862 amid the melting snow at Fredericksburg. It was at this battle that Lee said to Longstreet “It is well that war is so terrible – we should grow too fond of it”.

longstreet_3.jpg

Wordpress
One of my favorites.

Excellent story, thanks for posting it! I've been keeping an eye open for what in blazes men did while in winter camp- bored? Guessing a tolerant officer was a God send, for as long as it lasted.

@AUG351 , priceless, thank you! If anyone ever keeps count of this stuff, wonder if it was the biggest snow ball battle of the war? Had to be!!

Sounds just like Old Pete.

@AUG351 , priceless, thank you! If anyone ever keeps count of this stuff, wonder if it was the biggest snow ball battle of the war? Had to be!!
Think the biggest might've been the snowball battle at Dalton, Ga., while the Army of Tennessee was quartered there in early 1864. That one saw almost the entire army go to war with itself! But the snowball fight in Longstreet's Corps might have been next in line though.

Think the biggest might've been the snowball battle at Dalton, Ga., while the Army of Tennessee was quartered there in early 1864. That one saw almost the entire army go to war with itself! But the snowball fight in Longstreet's Corps might have been next in line though.
As I recall, Longstreet’s had lines of battle and coordinated attacks. Lee himself was impressed.

Back