Don't mess with the 72nd!

I wonder if you can contact the LOC and tell them they are incorrect lol They should enjoy that :smile:

LOL! Maybe we could let this one slide, after all they have given us such a resource.
It still would be funny to see what they have to say.
Maybe the people at the LOC are like that friend that no matter how much you tell them they are incorrect, even when they know they are wrong, insist they are correct.

Q: I noticed an error in the data associated with the picture. Whom should I contact?
A: If you have a Flickr account, you are welcome to give us your information through a comment on Flickr. (Library of Congress staff will be looking at the comments.) If you don’t have an account, you can use our Ask a Librarian service to make a report: Prints & Photographs Ask a Librarian

They actually have three photographs mislabeled as the 12th PA.

I think they would appreciate it, if someone did correct the photograph--they will probably 'tag' it as both and correct the error.

Great catches gentlemen! Bravo!

M. E. Wolf

Reply received today.

"Thanks for alerting us about this error. These images are from the Bain collection, and we make the titles from the captions on the negatives or the negative sleeve. There are so many images we are unable to check the accuracy of each one. Usually they are correct, I'm guessing someone just misread a 7 as a 1 here. I will submit it to our catalogers to correct. It can take a few weeks before the update shows up online."

Reply received today.

"Thanks for alerting us about this error. These images are from the Bain collection, and we make the titles from the captions on the negatives or the negative sleeve. There are so many images we are unable to check the accuracy of each one. Usually they are correct, I'm guessing someone just misread a 7 as a 1 here. I will submit it to our catalogers to correct. It can take a few weeks before the update shows up online."
I'm impressed - nice catch, nice work !

Back