Restricted Don't Mess With Texas

MikeyB

Corporal
Was the secession issue ever even close for Texas? Was there any element of Unionist sentiment? Or was Sam Houston truly an exception to the rule? Surprised such a beloved figure was not more influential.

mike

maximus_flavius

Private
Was the secession issue ever even close for Texas? Was there any element of Unionist sentiment? Or was Sam Houston truly an exception to the rule? Surprised such a beloved figure was not more influential.

mike

An excellent question. I’d like to know more about Edmund Davis & his men. I’m aware that Texas Confederates killed several Unionist / German immigrants in the Hill country & at Gainesville. I’ve always thought how painful it must have been for Houston to see secession happen. & think of all the scorn he endured.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
mike

Houston, before the war, was beloved because he was seen as a true Texas Patriot, and wanted only what was best for his state. Unfortunately many of his fellow Texans did not share his wit and perception to know, secession was only disaster for Tx.