Restricted Don't Mess With Texas

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

MikeyB

Corporal
Was the secession issue ever even close for Texas? Was there any element of Unionist sentiment? Or was Sam Houston truly an exception to the rule? Surprised such a beloved figure was not more influential.

mike

Was the secession issue ever even close for Texas? Was there any element of Unionist sentiment? Or was Sam Houston truly an exception to the rule? Surprised such a beloved figure was not more influential.

mike
An excellent question. I’d like to know more about Edmund Davis & his men. I’m aware that Texas Confederates killed several Unionist / German immigrants in the Hill country & at Gainesville. I’ve always thought how painful it must have been for Houston to see secession happen. & think of all the scorn he endured.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
My recent review of a book of local Northeast Texas history that discussed in depth the divide between Unionist and secessionist Texans that led to tragedies in this part of the state:

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
mike

Houston, before the war, was beloved because he was seen as a true Texas Patriot, and wanted only what was best for his state. Unfortunately many of his fellow Texans did not share his wit and perception to know, secession was only disaster for Tx.

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
The Germans mainly the Hill Country Germans around Fredricksburg etc were anti-secession see the Nueaces Massacre . Dallas, not an overly large town at the time had it's fair share of Unionists. No Ol' Sam wasn't alone.