Donate to a Michigan college class effort to preserve, not destroy, their Civil War Monument.

4thMichigan

Private
The class of '21 from Michigan's Hillsdale College is actually seeking to restore, rather than tear down, the Civil War monument on their campus in Hillsdale, Michigan. They have a tough road ahead of them in today's "cancel culture" environment and they could use our help. These college students are trying to reach their donation goal of $25,000 by July 1st, 2021, in an effort to restore and preserve their Civil War monument which was dedicated to the more than 500 men from their college who all volunteered to serve in the war. The 1895 statue was designed and sculpted by the famous American sculptor, Lorado Zadoc Taft of Illinois. As some may already know, it was Lorado Taft who created the Fourth Michigan Infantry's monument which is located in "The Wheatfield" at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The monument there was created and then dedicated less than a decade earlier. Taft's work is well regarded in the Art community and many of his works are very well known.

If you can, please take a moment to visit the college's site for this courageous preservation effort and let's consider how we, as historians, can assist these students in preserving our history. Here's a link to the site: https://www.givecampus.com/schools/HillsdaleCollege/2021-senior-class-gift#updates

Thanks.

For those of you not familiar with Hillsdale College, it's a conservative, private college in Hillsdale Michigan that was founded in 1844 by abolitionists. The college had the highest percentage of students (over 400) of any northern college, enlist in the Civil War with 4 students being awarded the Medal of Honor. The college does not take any Federal funds and they offer a number of free on-line courses ranging from politics (includes courses on the U.S. Constitution), history, literature, economics, philosophy and religion, to anyone that signs up for them. Here is the link to the free courses:

I have heard of Hillsdale College, and also of their efforts to do more than protect and preserve a singular monument. They provide an outspoken Conservative voice in the current climate and I will be happy to make a contribution towards the preservation of American history. God bless these young people in their determination to respect the past rather than tear it down. Thank you for making us aware and I wish the College and its students all the best. They are to be commended.

I'm a bit curious as to the way this has been framed. As far as I can tell, the statue is being restored due to erosion from time and weather. No one seems to have objected to it, on campus or off, and the senior class has gotten a lot of support in their effort to raise money to restore the statue. I'd be very interested to see why the suggestion was made that the statue faced destruction due to "cancel culture."

I'd be very interested to see why the suggestion was made that the statue faced destruction due to "cancel culture."

I assume the reasons are a modern political agenda and a hoping that we're so dense as to confuse monuments to loyal American soldiers that no one wants to tear down with monuments to traitors and defenders of slavery that quite a few people would like to see torn down.

Or maybe the OP just doesn't understand the difference.

Back