Don Troiani’s “Bonnie Blue Flag”

Harms88

Sergeant
Many years ago, I was reading an ACW Magazine article on the Mule Shoe was I saw for the first time, Troiani’s Bonnie Blue Flag. It’s remained a favorite of mine to look at but it was always too expensive, very rarely dipping below the $500 mark. However, look what I got yesterday:

CB75AFC7-9A12-41EA-9BF6-BC7490B43E69.jpeg

Found it for only $280 including taxes and shipping. It’s a rather odd sized piece though, and a frame would cost almost $80, so I’m thinking of usting taping it up to the wall (behind the print, not over it) once I’ve gotten it flatten out a bit more.

Congratulations on you acquisition!

I have a feeling this will be an annoying question, but why was this painting titled "Bonnie Blue Flag" cause I don't one see anywhere.

I've never been a painting person, but looking over Don Troiani's Soldier Study series from Revolutionary War subjects to CW ones, and his Mexican War painting I've been thinking of grabbing a couple to hang in my humble workshop. Also other artists work. I've never been a fan of Troiani's art style, but it grows on you.

Nice buy! I actually contemplated buying that exact print... I saw one on ebay, but I believe it was around the $500. I decided not to buy it. Thanks for sharing.

I have a feeling this will be an annoying question, but why was this painting titled "Bonnie Blue Flag" cause I don't one see anywhere.

As described by the artist. “At the battle of Spotsylvania, May 12 1864, General Stephen Dodson Ramseur’s North Carolina brigade struggles to hold back General [Winfield Scott] Hancock’s massive breakthrough. At the critical moment private Tisdale Stepp of the 4th North Carolina burst out with the great Southern War song “The Bonnie Blue Flag” which was taken up & down the line. The flags of the 4th & 14th North Carolina were side by side at this moment while General Ramseur has his wound treated."

Very nice. You should go to the local Michaels/Hobby Lobby etc and get your frame..or visit your local goodwill! Seriously you will find some odd sized frames there. I’ve bought things based on the frame..then re-donated the artwork sans frame!

Very nice. I love Troiani prints! I don't have this one however.

John

This is my first Troiani. Always liked his work but if I paid the money on everything I wanted....well....I'd still be poor. lol
Very nice. You should go to the local Michaels/Hobby Lobby etc and get your frame..or visit your local goodwill! Seriously you will find some odd sized frames there. I’ve bought things based on the frame..then re-donated the artwork sans frame!

The one that's needed is a 26x24.5 frame. Unless it's a regular sized type of frame, it's very rare to find them locally.

@Harms88 I am fortunate to have several of his prints and I really enjoy them. All AoP stuff though. They have given me many years of pleasure. I got Faugh A Bellagh in 87 and that began my little addiction. I think the years will find you very happy with your purchase.

John

This is my first Troiani. Always liked his work but if I paid the money on everything I wanted....well....I'd still be poor. lol

The one that's needed is a 26x24.5 frame. Unless it's a regular sized type of frame, it's very rare to find them locally.
Isn't it possible to use a more common size frame? Though it may turn out oversized, the background infill used could accentuate the picture itself.
Lubliner.

Isn't it possible to use a more common size frame? Though it may turn out oversized, the background infill used could accentuate the picture itself.
Lubliner.

Possibly. But I’m not much of a fan of putting posters in over-sized frames. I could try it though, I have a few posters that aren’t being hung up at the moment and I could swap them out and see what it looks like. Or heck, use the original poster as that infill. Lol

As described by the artist. “At the battle of Spotsylvania, May 12 1864, General Stephen Dodson Ramseur’s North Carolina brigade struggles to hold back General [Winfield Scott] Hancock’s massive breakthrough. At the critical moment private Tisdale Stepp of the 4th North Carolina burst out with the great Southern War song “The Bonnie Blue Flag” which was taken up & down the line. The flags of the 4th & 14th North Carolina were side by side at this moment while General Ramseur has his wound treated."

I was about to ask the same thing; thanks for the explanation. You wouldn't get that the men were singing rather than just shouting or whatever unless you knew the story.

Many years ago, I was reading an ACW Magazine article on the Mule Shoe was I saw for the first time, Troiani’s Bonnie Blue Flag. It’s remained a favorite of mine to look at but it was always too expensive, very rarely dipping below the $500 mark. However, look what I got yesterday:

View attachment 396694

Found it for only $280 including taxes and shipping. It’s a rather odd sized piece though, and a frame would cost almost $80, so I’m thinking of usting taping it up to the wall (behind the print, not over it) once I’ve gotten it flatten out a bit more.
That’s most excellent. I’ve seen this piece in the 4 Troiani CW artbooks my son has. I’m sure it’s going to look incredible framed up. Wish this was more affordable. His birthday is coming up and he’d love getting something like this.

Back