Dogs Of War, Or, Home Is Where The Bowl Is

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
dog loc small 1.JPG

This one is easy to miss, gentleman far left, seated on the ground in protective charge of this little scrap , who General Napoleon Bonaparte McLaughlen included in his staff.

dog alph.jpg

We loved, adored, cherished and delighted in our dogs. This is unsurprisingly from just one of the school texts, " D " for " Dog ", never " Donkey ", " Door ", " Deer " or Dice ". Dog. Because, what else? Also unsurprisingly, they went to war, however unfamously.

dog loc 3.JPG

dog loc 5.JPG

Gens Stoneman and Nagle, and a dog someone convinced to wake up, eventually- isn't he wonderful?? Near Richmond, 1862

dog loc 7.JPG

Unclear whose dog is front and center with Grant,Hooker, Harney, Dodger, Gibbon, Potter and Sherman, but going with Grant. Or Hooker. Fort Sanders.

The 11th Pennsylvania's beloved Sally, forever unable to eat the treats by her immortalized nose at Gettysburg, must be the stand-in for the uncounted numbers of her kind who followed masters to war, or were adopted along the way. Grgrgrandmother's brother, David Adam, 11th Pennsylvania, in point of fact, was killed at Gettysburg. It's always been a little comforting to think he must have known Sally.

dog 7th ny state militia 1861.JPG

Early in the war, 1861, 7th New York State Militia

There are well known, if not famous ' dog ' photos. With the exception of Custer's, none of these count. Custer's is actually unusual since he had quite a few dogs, not just one.
dog custer.JPG

Nameless and named, you run into these astonishing companions, in LoC photographs. Some happy, a few bored- but we hear war can be an awfully boring portion of one's life, without all the shooting, all, you just know, adopted reminders of some shedding, panting, smiling, toothsome collection of fur at home, waiting at the window.

dog ames dog.jpg

General A. Ames , and staff, with a furry orderly

dog loc 153 ny.JPG

A Sally look a like, of the 153rd New York, unsure where

dog loc hq 1.JPG

Snoozing dawg must have become bored, like they do, after the photographer took too long placing everyone. napping in the middle of photos seems to be a ' thing '. Brigade HG, Fort Lincoln, unclear which

Few more, hang on.....

dog loc usct officers 1.JPG

107th USCT Officers, and yet another bored and hysterically snoozing dog. Yes, that little fur ball near a soldier, far right is a comfortable, napping dog. Too funny. 107th USCT

dog loc.JPG

8th New York Militia, seems a theme since this fellow looks a lot like his/her peer of the 153rd NY.

dog officers uss miami gunboat.JPG

More well known, this pair on gunboat USS Miami, still not popular enough that we know their names.

Have omitted photos we know very well, the little guy at Gettysburg, Sallie, the large fellow at Brandy Station with an annoyed wife, etc. If anyone has any, other photos we do not frequently see, feel free! @LoyaltyOfDogs you would know more than anyone!

Last edited:
View attachment 182880
More well known, this pair on gunboat USS Miami, still not popular enough that we know their names.

And less well-known among the Miami's canine crew is this little fellow, easily overlooked. I don't know how many times I saw this photo before noticing him. Both he and his officer look like they'd be interesting characters to meet. Wish I knew their story.

JPG Close-up of terrier on USS Miami.jpg

Last edited:
And less well-known among the Miami's canine crew is this little fellow, easily overlooked. I don't know how many times I saw this photo before noticing him. Both he and his officer look like they'd be interesting characters to meet. Wish I knew their story.

OH my, how wonderful!! What a good eye you have! Thank you! Gee whiz, were it not for you, this pair would have passed unnoticed from History. So many photos have an awful lot more to them, if we would just look.

Have a feeling what you've discovered is a Big Softy, well disguised as a Naval officer. Dogs can be a give away, can't they? Probably not difficult, if you'd like to know who he is? USS Miami, rank, etc., from an expert, who was assigned there and when Brady ( or Gardner? ) visited. Take some detective work but it would be possible.

View attachment 183412
Looks like a dog? LOC 3c10368.

Good job spotting that fellow, @Mike Serpa! Yes, he appears to be a little black-and-tan pup that the boy is holding. It's touching to see that in the midst of war, while this young man had to live in an army camp and apparently didn't even have shoes to wear, he at least had this pup to hold onto. I hope they both made it through the war safely.

Close-up of boy and pup.jpg

(I would say you have a good eye, @Mike Serpa, but that is, um, obvious.)

Last edited:
Good job spotting that fellow, @Mike Serpa! Yes, he appears to be a little black-and-tan pup that the boy is holding. It's touching to see that in the midst of war, while this young man had to live in an army camp and apparently didn't even have shoes to wear, he at least had this pup to hold onto. I hope they both made it through the war safely.

View attachment 183434

(I would say you have a good eye, @Mike Serpa, but that is, um, obvious.)
I was trying to find names of Gamble's staff and noticed the dog!

Back