Dogs in the Civil War

From: The Seventh Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers in the Civil War, 1862-1865 (1909) by William Hopkins

Life in the defenses south of Washington could become monotonous. And a stray pooch could provide involuntary entertainment for friend and foe alike.

"One quiet day a stray dog made his appearance on the picket line beyond Fort Rice. Some one fastened an empty oyster can to its tail and started it on the run toward Fort Sedgwick. He enjoyed a free, full, and exclusive right of way. On he came, in long flying leaps with ears flapping and can banging. The cheers of the starters attracted the attention of both lines. All eyes were instantly focussed upon the oncoming canine. Each man was transfixed to the spot on which he stood. For a moment only were they silent, and then Yank and reb alike, throwing hostility and caution to the winds jumped upon the works, and vied with each other in the bestowment of pet names, praises, and suggestions, in tender inquiries as to where he was from and whither bound, as well as in encouraging mentionings of the favorable prospects of his timely arrival at the intended goal. Never did any dog have such an audience as this, limitless as it was in numbers, enthusiastic and thoroughly appreciative. But none of these things disturbed him. He swerved neither to the right nor to the left until he had passed from sight. We never saw him again. For all I know he's going yet."

The poor beast was probably terrified as much by the crowds of men yelling at him as by the banging can trailing behind.

Battle-fields of the South: from Bull Run to Fredericksburg, was published in London in 1864, by one identified only as: “C., T.E., An English Combattant” The following paragraph, on page 174, is, I suspect, apocryphal, highlighting as it does, the incompetent, lazy, cowardliness of all Yankees, and natural superiority of all southerners -- themes "C., T. E.," emphasizes at every opportunity. This takes place some time during the Peninsula Campaign:

“Our outposts, however, could not keep quiet, and every chance that was presented was improved to slaughter the enemy, for they held them in profound contempt. The enemy devised a new plan for picketing. They owned a great many dogs, and when on outpost duty, Mr. Yankee would quietly light his pipe and play cards, while the dogs rambled through the woods, and gave the alarm of any approach! The faithfulness of their dogs saved them on many occasions from loss, for the animals would howl and retire from any one unless dressed in blue. As woodsmen, the enemy were complete novices compared to us; but this was as might be expected. There were Maryland regiments, however, in their service who were equal to us, but these were not trusted — McClellan thought, and wisely, that with the first opportunity they would ‘skedaddle’ to the rebels!”

whiskey1.png
Not a very good picture, copied, as it is, from Martin A. Haynes', A History of the Second Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry, in the War of the Rebellion" (1896, p. 240) But, I wanted to include it because a little Whiskey is good for the soul (with or without Quinine).

[PS: Whiskey and quinine was an all-purpose tonic freely dispensed in all Army hospitals.]

Last edited:
Welcome back Rhett, I am still awful new here, but I understand being ill too well. good health too you. I think where ever you find soldiers, you will find dogs. They help to keep us balanced and whole, something to care about when we are tired and weary, someone to love when you feel empty and need something to make you smile. A dog is all of these and I think soldiers couldn't help but smile at a four legged friend. Eager to lick your hands and face, just to petted, a gentle hand and kind words. I think soldier couldn't help but care about such creatures as dogs.

Back