Ami's SOA Dogs In Camp, Or Can You Spot The Dog?

Great catch, @JPK Huson 1863! I believe that before long you'll even find a dog on a pontoon bridge!

OH a girl can dream! Believe it or not, I've been looking. Think I found one but it's so indistinct it's a little dicey making the claim.

Washington ( no clue which camp ), Gen. Daniel White and staff and one spotted puppy.
DOG OFFICERS WHITE.JPG

Co. K, 93rd New York, The Morgan Rifles. There may be two here, a little tough to see. One fellow is buttoned into a man's jacket far right, another might be on the ground in front of the last man, far left. Dogs wiggle, neither is very clear. Only posting the fellow in the jacket because I just can't make up my mind about the other one.

dog two j.jpg

dog in coat j.jpg

This is not a photograph but, instead, a painting (although it's described as a drawing). It shows General William S. Rosecrans addressing a group of soldiers in camp. Lying nearby and wearing what seems to be an expression of interest in the proceedings is a large black dog, who is best viewed by zooming in on the image. Does anyone know if General Rosecrans kept a dog during the war? Or maybe the dog belonged to a member of the headquarters staff. (Since I am not sure about rights to this work, a relatively recent acquisition by the Library of Congress as part of its Adolph Metzner Collection, I am only providing the link here instead of posting a copy of the picture.) It's an interesting scene in several other respects, too. The action apparently involves a disciplinary matter against a Lieutenant Robert Wolff of the 32nd Indiana, according to a note on the back of the drawing that says he was dismissed for kissing a hospital nurse. Though the dog appears interested and a couple members of General Rosecrans's staff are looking on, a few other soldiers look to be indifferent to the matter at hand. One of those closest reads a newspaper. In the background at center, an African American man wearing an apron waves, perhaps calling soldiers to their meal.

Last edited:
Back