Ami's SOA Dogs In Camp, Or Can You Spot The Dog?

Now this is a delightful thread! Thanks @LoyaltyOfDogs! I've always loved the story of Harvey (pardon me if it's already been shared).
Harvey was a Bull Terrier that traveled with the 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. This regiment was nicknamed the "Barking Dog Regiment" because they had so many dogs attached. Harvey joined the unit in 1862 when his owner, Daniel M. Stearns of Wellsville, Ohio, joined the regiment. In November of 1862 Stearns was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and he proudly fitted Harvey with a special collar with a nameplate that read, “I am Lieutenant D.M. Stearn’s dog, whose dog are you?”

war-dog-harvey1.jpg

I think cats could come. They were important to many in war as pets. However, maybe they need their own thread.

I'd also welcome cats here, but since soldiers also loved to remember their cats in memoirs and anecdotes, I think they deserve their own thread. Cats seem to be somewhat more elusive photography subjects than dogs. Would a "Cats In The War" thread be the best way to do them justice? We could post cats' photos there as we find them. And I'd be happy to compile links to the existing cat discussions and pictures to start the new thread (or to add as a post once it's underway) if forum hosts and interested members would like. As cats are relatively new to my life, I wouldn't want to usurp the privilege of starting a thread in their honor if someone else would enjoy doing it.

Last edited:
This dog of the 4th New York Infantry's Company C almost got away undetected, but he was spotted by Garry Adelman of the Center for Civil War Photography and American Battlefield Trust, who shared this photo's many interesting details on his Civil War Facebook page. If it wasn't for the footpads facing the camera, I never would have seen the dog, and I still can't quite make out the way he's positioned. Here's a link to the full picture in the Library of Congress.

1549937176026.png

1549937216224.png

Have gone back and forth on this one. Besides a large bag, can't think what else would be on this woman's lap. I wouldn't say ' Yes, she's holding a dog ' were it not for the interest in the object attracted by the small boy sitting next to her. He's definitely looking at what is in her lap. Small boy- either chocolate cake, some form of weaponry or a dog.

ladies in camp.JPG

Cannot remember where this was taken? Have an idea somewhere outside DC.

ladies in camp new.jpg

Back