Ami's SOA Dogs In Camp, Or Can You Spot The Dog?

This famous puppy is one of my favorite dogs of the war. 31st Pennsylvania, Queen's Farm, Virginia- near Fort Slocum?

dog kids camp 31st pa kids kitchen.jpg

20yr75.jpg

Custer appears in more than one photograph with dogs, interestingly enough.

View attachment 223028

Apparently one of the two dogs from these two photographs may have been named Rose. Custer mentioned adopting a dog named Rose in a letter to his sister, though no description was given.

That is a great dog , can just tell by the picture. Also seems by the pic that he or she likes to be wet and muddy..love it.
Well its off to the Gettysburg DMV, cant think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning.

Yes, you're right. Read someone's account of Custer's dogs following him through the war, like a long, hairy streamer. Have no way to verify this but I ' think ' that writer counted fifteen. Well, makes sense. You can't tell me those dogs did not become a big, old puppy factory.

Thankfully seems to have left them behind on his last trip. Must be a gazillion accounts from that day, not a mention of a dog.
Did you perchance notice in the original post by @LoyaltyOfDogs about half way through the pictures, the A-frame shot of the white billy goat? I remember reading of this one incident where the men in the camp had a billy goat that had eaten the laundry. I didn't want to 'pick a bone' over the photo being a misfit instead of a mascot, but on the close up (which remained uncaptioned) you will notice the skinny legs, long skinny snout, and its fluff of mane: Billy Goat!.

Custer loved dogs. At one time his wife Libby wrote they had over 70 on way West. That is a lot of dogs.
In a rather sobering realization, Indians had for many ages fed puppies to visitors as a delicacy of delight. I have never heard Custer's opinion on the Indian practice. Upon arrival in a Chief's village by 'white' visitors, the first order of business was to go through and collect puppies, club them, and put them in the pot. I cannot believe Custer would condone such a practice and we should be surprised if he never made mention of it.

Did you perchance notice in the original post by @LoyaltyOfDogs about half way through the pictures, the A-frame shot of the white billy goat? I remember reading of this one incident where the men in the camp had a billy goat that had eaten the laundry. I didn't want to 'pick a bone' over the photo being a misfit instead of a mascot, but on the close up (which remained uncaptioned) you will notice the skinny legs, long skinny snout, and its fluff of mane: Billy Goat!.

Thanks for bringing this up, @Lubliner. I did indeed think it was a dog, and now, this morning, I’ve seen him identified as a goat in a FB group where I shared the CWT thread. I still see more dog than goat in the image, but I admit that’s my particular bias, since I’m more familiar with dogs than goats. So now I’ve been looking at historical, ancient, and modern depictions of goats to see what traits might match those in the picture. He still looks more like a dog to me, but I ‘d suggest he deserves his own thread to recognize him as a goat. Do you happen to have any more information about the laundry-eating incident? Do you know if the goat ended up in the stew pot? Thanks for any additional information you can provide. Meanwhile, here are a couple of other close-ups taken from the high-resolution image. I brightened the second one to try to get better definition between the blurred face and the solid image. Here, also is a link to the original photo at the LOC.

1547318135957.png

1547318270029.png

Another dog sighting, thanks to a member of one of the FB Civil War groups, who posted this picture of Co. G, 50th NY Engineers, at a block house they built in Fairmont, WV. He kindly gave permission to share it here. A white and black dog is lying beside the soldier in the center foreground.

View attachment 225358

View attachment 225359

That dog is out cold, lol

Thanks for bringing this up, @Lubliner. I did indeed think it was a dog, and now, this morning, I’ve seen him identified as a goat in a FB group where I shared the CWT thread. I still see more dog than goat in the image, but I admit that’s my particular bias, since I’m more familiar with dogs than goats. So now I’ve been looking at historical, ancient, and modern depictions of goats to see what traits might match those in the picture. He still looks more like a dog to me, but I ‘d suggest he deserves his own thread to recognize him as a goat. Do you happen to have any more information about the laundry-eating incident? Do you know if the goat ended up in the stew pot? Thanks for any additional information you can provide. Meanwhile, here are a couple of other close-ups taken from the high-resolution image. I brightened the second one to try to get better definition between the blurred face and the solid image. Here, also is a link to the original photo at the LOC.

View attachment 226006

View attachment 226007
I retract my goat sighting, after seeing a close up of the paws, maybe. That nose is all dog, @LoyaltyOfDogs but the rest of the head with two small poke-ups look like horns. Water spaniel maybe? (...glub…)
Edit: On the laundry incident, it may have been Life and Times of Billy Yank and Johnny Reb.

In a rather sobering realization, Indians had for many ages fed puppies to visitors as a delicacy of delight. I have never heard Custer's opinion on the Indian practice. Upon arrival in a Chief's village by 'white' visitors, the first order of business was to go through and collect puppies, club them, and put them in the pot. I cannot believe Custer would condone such a practice and we should be surprised if he never made mention of it.

I don't take my dogs to powwows - those Plains guys might eat them! :cautious: Back in the day, though, they were indeed a valuable trade item, sometimes as food.

In the South, we had the Indian dog, or Dixie Dingo. Yaller dawg! That's a very good breed, excellent watch dogs and very loyal. I'd love to have one again if I could find one. (Out here we don't eat them...stick to salmon!)

View attachment 226094
View attachment 226095Dreaming of chasing cats.
Interior view of Fort Moultrie. (Sullivan's Island) Charleston, SC (vicinity) 1865 LOC

View attachment 226096View attachment 226097 Or a mop.
Cumberland Landing, Va. Group of "contrabands" at Foller's house. 1862. LOC

View attachment 226098
View attachment 226099Or not.
Steam frigate Pensacola. Alexandria, VA 1861. LOC

Good finds, @Mike Serpa! I'd seen the picture of the African-American group before but never noticed the dog. The dog in the last picture looks like a Newfoundland to me.

Last edited:
They're awesome @Mike Serpa ! Thanks for posting them!

Yes, the FB group seems to be wrong- that's a dog. Maybe not tell him he's been mistaken for a goat, could hurt his feelings.
Which ine is mistaken for a goat?

Good finds, @Mike Serpa! I'd seen the picture of the African-American group before but never noticed the dog. The dog in the last picture looks like a Newfoundland to me.
I think a Newfoundland is correct!

Back