Coast Arty Does this cannon need to go on a diet?

Maybe. For breakfast I will be eating White Fish and eggs at the restaurant next door to the motel. Does White Fish and eggs sound like a Mackinaw City thing?
No Waffle Houses or Cracker Barrels in the area?:hungry:

Another cannon from the Mackinac area. Not a Civil War cannon.

20190904_104800.jpg

Sorry about this being g sideways, but smart phone turns it and will not let me turn it. This is not a civil War cannon and I not sure why it is in the museum. Still a way cool small cannon.

This in the same museum in the Mackinac area. It is not in great shape. Photo taken in the Fort de Baude Museum in St. Ignace. The museum if free to enter if you can summon the courage to cross the Mackinac Bridge.

20190904_104826.jpg

Last edited:
Dahlgren, beyond a shadow of a doubt. 9" or 11".. thinking the latter from the shape of it.

Nice representation of a Marsilly carriage there... trucks on the front, skids on the back. I'm not expert enough to say if that's an authentic carriage, though...
No mark it isn't. The pukka Marsilly would be of heavy timbers, and about twice the size.

Yeah, it didn't really look substantial enough for use.

There were iron Dahlgren carriages, though-- that's probably not one of them, however.

OK, I think I found the three Dahlgrens on page 243 of Olmstead, Stark, and Tucker's The Big Guns. All three are in fact IX-inch, all cast at Fort Pitt Foundry in 1863. They are numbers 678 (9,210 lbs, foundry no. 1475), 687 (9,280 lbs, foundry no. 1492), and 688 (9,300 lbs, foundry no. 1484). They are marked as "from Sackets Harbor," with no indication that they were ever mounted on a vessel. (There are other IX-inchers in Michigan that served on Hartford, though-- one in Cheboygan, one in Petoskey, and one in Gaylord.)

(The other big gun a few spots later in the thread is a Rodman Columbiad, by the look of the breech.)

OK, I think I found the three Dahlgrens on page 243 of Olmstead, Stark, and Tucker's The Big Guns. All three are in fact IX-inch, all cast at Fort Pitt Foundry in 1863. They are numbers 678 (9,210 lbs, foundry no. 1475), 687 (9,280 lbs, foundry no. 1492), and 688 (9,300 lbs, foundry no. 1484). They are marked as "from Sackets Harbor," with no indication that they were ever mounted on a vessel. (There are other IX-inchers in Michigan that served on Hartford, though-- one in Cheboygan, one in Petoskey, and one in Gaylord.)

(The other big gun a few spots later in the thread is a Rodman Columbiad, by the look of the breech.)
I did not know about the one in Gaylord or the one in Cheboygan . I'll be near Gaylord next week .

Back