Coast Arty Does this cannon need to go on a diet?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
20190903_201716.jpg

She is fatter than her sisters.

These are heavy cannons
Not really as I have seen this old girl before and she is not the biggest girl at the ball. I believe she is a 9 inch Dahlgren from the USS Hartford. The Rodman sister were the biggest girls at the ball weighing in a 58 tons.
1567558622600.png

No. Its dimensions are part of its design.

That is the Mackinac City Tourist Bureau in the background. And yeah, the cannon is a real beauty. Where did you stay when you were there?

Rodeway Inn & Suites. They have recently changed their name but I do not recall their old name. We stayed in the same motel 10 years ago so my wife wanted to stay there again. She want to walk up to the same hot dog place. Nothing says vacation better than an 80 foot long hot dog.
20190903_190404.jpg

Rodeway Inn & Suites. They have recently changed their name but I do not recall their old name. We stayed in the same motel 10 years ago so my wife wanted to stay there again. She want to walk up to the same hot dog place. Nothing says vacation better than an 80 foot long hot dog.
View attachment 324082
They just repainted it last year! It’s very tourist trap, but I love it!

Not really as I have seen this old girl before and she is not the biggest girl at the ball. I believe she is a 9 inch Dahlgren from the USS Hartford. The Rodman sister were the biggest girls at the ball weighing in a 58 tons.
View attachment 323984
I have a family picture with me actually inside that barrel somewhere, hrm, I wonder if I have that someplace I can easily find it....

Someone should have called it Humpty Dumpty, the British apparently had a cannon of similar proportions, it was a royalist cannon placed high on a wall, apparently a parliamentary cannon fired at the wall and the cannon fell to the ground, it must have been a cannon of similar size because...
All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn’t put Humpty together again...

If she is the gun that I think she is, she was fit enough to be part of the armament of the USS Hartford at the Battle of Mobile Bay.:cannon:

Back