Does The Uniform Make Him A CS Soldier????

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Came across an unpublished and rare CDV of an unknown Confederate captain from Georgia. The servant he took with him to war was decked out in a CS enlisted mans uniform. Many CS officer as well as enlisted men took servants with them to war but you don't see many in uniform. If captured would he have been classified as an enemy combatant?
cs officer with slave.jpg

cs officer slave back.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure it officially makes him a soldier. No more than it does these gentleman's servants in 1864 Galveston. (notice how one's kepi is braided like an officer's)

Brig. General Randall Slaughter and staff 1864.jpg

(Also just for fun, I wonder who will pick out the famous forgotten officer)

Interesting image though, I bet the servant in you picture had a privately tailored uniform paid for by that officer rather than issue, though the fit looks a little off. He may not have been a soldier, but I bet he saw his share of battle, whether he was armed and fighting, or just there dodging bullets.

Came across an unpublished and rare CDV of an unknown Confederate captain from Georgia. The servant he took with him to war was decked out in a CS enlisted mans uniform. Many CS officer as well as enlisted men took servants with them to war but you don't see many in uniform. If captured would he have been classified as an enemy combatant?
View attachment 329838
View attachment 329837

It sounds like it was published at least once before in a publication: http://blackconfederatesoldiers.com/military-uniform.html

I'm not sure it officially makes him a soldier. No more than it does these gentleman's servants in 1864 Galveston. (notice how one's kepi is braided like an officer's)

View attachment 329873

Interesting image though, I bet the servant in you picture had a privately tailored uniform paid for by that officer rather than issue, though the fit looks a little off. He may not have been a soldier, but I bet he saw his share of battle, whether he was armed and fighting, or just there dodging bullets.
The guy with the mustache looks familiar. :smile:

By whom? Any US Officer or enlisted man had had no real authority to classify a black in the confederate ranks as such, only the Confederate Government, and they didn't!

Kevin Dally

By whom? Any US Officer or enlisted man had had no real authority to classify a black in the confederate ranks as such, only the Confederate Government, and they didn't!

Kevin Dally

Look up some first person Confederate accounts at Camp Douglas. Specifically when Morgan's bunch was marched into prison.

View attachment 329873

James Edwin Slaughter

brig-general-randall-slaughter-and-staff-1864-jpg.jpg

Is that James N. , the second from the left? :D

unknown Confederate captain from Georgia
Does the kepi look to be red, as in artillery? Regarding the photographers marks on the back of the image - Andrew J Riddle (1825-1893) was born in Maryland and later lived in Macon, Georgia, where he was a photographer. Image of Riddle here

Is that James N. , the second from the left? :D
Hmmm.... Could be! (Seriously, the gentleman seated second from the right appears from the pattern of paired buttons on a double-breasted frock coat to be at least a brigadier general, but I don't recognize him.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is a post-war reunion photo of J.B. White & John Terrill of the 6th TN Cavalry. White was an "Officer" in the Veterans Organization.
I believe the two pictured in the OP are also in a postwar DVD, from the appearance of the backmark, although the actual photo itself may be a wartime image reproduced postwar.

Back