Pickett Does Pickett deserve a monument?

Priest may be referring to the area I mentioned previous. The intersection of the driveway for the Spangler farm and Emmitsburg Rd. It put him in close proximity to contact his reserves which were in the Peach Orchard area.
I personally don't know where he was... but recently read that when Mrs Pickett visited the burg she was taken to that location and Batchelder said it was 'the spot where he husband was' iirc.

Basically west of the Road on the crest near Klingle house. From my memory I remember someone also saying he was near a 'red barn' which the Klingle house had.

John Michael Priest in "Into the Fight," a detailed account of Pickett's Charge, has Pickett on the crest of a ridge Southwest of the Codori Farm. I haven't been up on the battlefield for a while, so I can't tell what side of the Emmitsburg Road Priest meant. I'll take a look next time I go up.

That would be the West side of Emmitsburg Road. No crests between the Road and the Union line.

A couple of problems with the alleged Klingle House location are that:

a. it is South off the Right end of his Division's formation so he could not direct any movements. He would just be all alone
and
b. it is totally exposed to Union fire.

The Codori Barn is red too :wink:

A couple of problems with the alleged Klingle House location are that:

a. it is South off the Right end of his Division's formation so he could not direct any movements. He would just be all alone
and
b. it is totally exposed to Union fire.

The Codori Barn is red too :wink:

The Codori barn of today was is not the one there in 1863. The Codori farm in 1863 had a log barn iirc. Klingel did have a red barn though, at least I was told that.
I don't know where Pickett was, but it would be interesting if anyone knew where Reardon or any of the historians got their reference from. It's something I always wondered about.

And 300 paces in front of the Union line is also totally exposed to Union fire as well.

The Codori barn of today was is not the one there in 1863. The Codori farm in 1863 had a log barn iirc. Klingel did have a red barn though, at least I was told that.
I don't know where Pickett was, but it would be interesting if anyone knew where Reardon or any of the historians got their reference from. It's something I always wondered about.

And 300 paces in front of the Union line is also totally exposed to Union fire as well.

Not if shielded by the barn :smile:

Are you saying he and his staff hid behind the Codori barn? I had not heard that before.

Anyone know if any of Pickett's staff were killed during the attack? I know he filed no OR (or had it ripped up later)

Are you saying he and his staff hid behind the Codori barn? I had not heard that before.

Anyone know if any of Pickett's staff were killed during the attack? I know he filed no OR (or had it ripped up later)

Hid? No. He was at the rear of the attack, to the Right (SSE) of Armistead's Brigade and behind Kemper's Left and rode all the way to the Codori's encouraging his troops. Have no reference about where his staff was.

That would be the West side of Emmitsburg Road. No crests between the Road and the Union line.

I wasn't sure. I know there is a crest on the west side, but isn't that where the orchard was and is again? I've been sick and haven't been able to get up there in quite a while, so the memory fades.

Yes I can see it now pickit thanking everybody for reminding him of the worst day of his life and building a monument to it that it probably won't the cockles of his heart right after he takes out his six: and blows off his own head for such a stupid idea.

According to Edward Porter Alexander, when Pickett's division stepped off Pickett was behind the division and somewhat in the center. I think he followed them as far as the Emmitsburg road......mounted. I'll have to look again to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that is what I read.

According to Edward Porter Alexander, when Pickett's division stepped off Pickett was behind the division and somewhat in the center. I think he followed them as far as the Emmitsburg road......mounted. I'll have to look again to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that is what I read.

That stuff was published 64 whole years after the fact. Sixty-four. I would not count any details there are representing what really happened but what the author thought that happened a long time ago. I cannot tell you what I had for breakfast this day last year, but I can guess, and likely be wrong. 64 years is way too long to remember details.

I don't know if Pickett would have wanted a monument to such a monumental failing, and the decimation of his division. Didn't he blame Lee for that, even after the war?

I wonder if there ever was an attempt to have a Pickett monument at Gettysburg?
I'd assume about the same as an attempt for a Hood monument at Franklin, definitely can't see it going over too well, indeed.

You had to be 'Marse Robert' to have your failures to be 'heroic' and 'grand'. Its a csa thing.
Grant didn't have the Lost Cause zealots defending his reputation.
Lee was criticized during the war, but once it was over, the criticism abated, only to be replaced by adoration.

All he's got is the buffet. I'm not suggesting we start a campaign to get him one, but does he deserve one? Personally, I don't think so - he did his job at Gettysburg, but I don't think his service rose to monument stature. Anybody disagree?
Was not other divisi9ns which went with Pickett into the charge?If you render him one why not them? Is there a monument where the charge began?

All he's got is the buffet. I'm not suggesting we start a campaign to get him one, but does he deserve one? Personally, I don't think so - he did his job at Gettysburg, but I don't think his service rose to monument stature. Anybody disagree?
I agree that Pickett does not but those men from those divisions merit and are derserving of a monunent to praise their herioc effort.

I think Pickett's Division deserves a monument and I am quite surprised that it does
have one. A good idea would be memorials for Armistead, Garnett and Kemper, his
brigadier generals, who all fell during the attack doing their up most to break the Union
lines against long odds.

Back