Does anyone know anything about the "Long Island" New York Confederate burial ground at Willow Grove

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
@John Hartwell let me know that there was a Confederate Veteran camp in New York City in the 1890s and that there is a reference to them starting a Confederate burial ground at "Willow Grove Cemetery, on Long Island." We could not figure out what "Willow Grove Cemetery" was, since we did not see any online references to it.

I would point out that while today the term "Long Island" typically is used to mean Nassau and Suffolk counties, back then Brooklyn and Queens would also have been described as "Long Island."

You can find the reference to the NYC camp here:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044086284429;view=1up;seq=5

Here is the reference to the cemetery:

willow grove cemetery.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Just so there is no confusion: This was not a burial ground for the Confederates who died during the war in New York's prison camps and hospitals. It was apparently created much later by the veterans.

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Pat
I am of no assistance but having had the opportunity to visit and talk with you I have no doubts that if anyone could find these burial grounds it will be you!
Regards
David

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Pat, I have no recollection of posting that, but obviously I did. The Willow Grove, LI references were both 1892. But, clearly the Confederate Veterans Camp of New York had transferred its burials to Mount Hope -- decidedly not Long Island. It's clearly the same organization.
Where the earlier burial plot was/is remains unknown.
jno

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Have you browsed Find A Grave? Some contributors post histories of cemeteries, name changes, what cemeteries were absorbed into new burial grounds. It'd be tedious but finding a list of men belonging to the New York Confederate Veterans then looking for them on Find A Grave might be helpful.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)