Does anyone else get sick of it?

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
Not reenacting itself, but everything that comes with it.

I'm about at my limit, I'm so sick of all the failure and having my hand slapped away in reenacting and with CW heritage organizations like the SCV.

I've been reenacting for 15 years, been studying CW history like a maniac for longer. So much so, that one of my original mentors in both has declared publicly I've surpassed his knowledge by a long shot, yet because I wasn't born before 1980 I'm still ostracized as a worthless "millennial" and folks in reenacting and the SCV still look to him for great knowledge and insight after he's washed his hands of both and wants to be left alone. At reenactments I'm still a private, after I've proven I can command and organize, (though this is understandable as life has forced me not to make more than one or two events a year, plus I don't mind being a private), and when a reenactment goes south with screw ups galore when I try to offer a solution and try to suggest a better way, even more period correct, I basically get told to mind my own business and keep my mouth shut. I guess because its inconceivable I could know more than someone who's been an officer for twenty years. Plus I commit the ultimate crime by refusing to play politics and make my feeling clear that the reenacting politics is disgusting.

It gets worse for me, in the SCV I was begged for years by a man to join so as to use my knowledge to improve his color guard and help the SCV. I finally stopped refusing when he was on his death bed. I joined, instant 2nd Sgt. rank and when I try to fix some issues, next thing I know the old fart who inherited command fights and shuts down everything I try to do because "We've never done it that way before." he went so far as to make dang near everyone a Sgt. nullifying any authority I had.

And within the SCV I propose reforms and ways to recruit new younger members, only to be shouted down and I still stay the course. I propose all the local Camps get together to start a new reenactment, I drew up plans, scouted potential sites, I work to make sure that it be superior to any of the dog and pony shows that do the same thing over and over with no imagination. No entrenchments, no flanking maneuvers, just the same head on movie style shoot'em ups. I get my hand slapped away yet again.

And for the latest let down I propose to the powers that be that I write a book, a "Confederate Heritage for Dummies" (not titled that at all), of sorts to try and correct the extreme lack of knowledge of CW history in the SCV, lay the "Lost Cause" myths to bed once and for all and showing that the truth is better, list all the right books members should look to for history, and have a section on reenactments, showing what is period, and what isn't in uniforms, and show how to build period correct fortifications, (I'm already cutting the wood) and secured use of land for a weekend. I even put on the table an offer that all the royalties, (excepting a very small fraction, my thinking being like 25 cents per copy for example, I'm dirt poor I have to get something) go to "Heritage Defense" for the good of the SCV.

All I got was a "we'll consider it" with all signs pointing to a no thanks in the long run.

So, after 15 years of my life I feel un-appreciated, am often accused of being politician by one guy, (because of my writing style) and basically told to shut up and let better people handle things and to really keep my mouth shut when everything blows up in peoples faces as I warned it would. Some have told me it's my people skills, yet when I look at my main mentor, who demanded "Power of God" when organizing and running a reenactment to make sure it didn't turn into a mess, and had a "your either with me or against me" attitude where I try to let everyone have a say and bend over backwards to accommodate them, I don't think this is true.

Sorry for the long ranty post, but I'm curious to hear everyone else's thoughts and if its just me. Because I'm about sick of trying to do good and being crucified for it with reenactments and the SCV. Life's too short to put up with it, and I won't lie it hurts because reenacting is the biggest love in my life and I've come to love the SCV hence all my efforts to try and do good for both. The insults at reenactments and the SCV drive me bonkers because, and this is my favorite thing to quote from people "I read a book!" I've read hundreds and God only knows how many records and that quote only serves to royally tick off my mellow hard to anger self.

Last edited:
Also before we get too far into this thread, don't say its because I'm with mainstream reenactors and I should run with the campaigners. They are the absolute worst offenders and have slapped me away because I'm willing to put up with some lack of period correctness. If someone wants to kill themselves hauling a tent around, I won't say boo.

The hard-core campaigners to me are one of the worst lots because I've seen too many look down their noses at normal reenactors and yet knew just as little of the war while pretending otherwise. I've even had one tell me I'm a monster because I know so much but will put up with farbs (except dismounted cav. they can go straight to the devil!) and am fine with not a hundred percent period correct reenactors.

But to my eye, how many reenactors are between the heights of 5'4 and 6'2 and weigh only 90 pounds or less...

I'm a live let live kind of guy most of the time but I've come to utterly despise hard-core reenactors for their elitist attitude when most them know as little of the war as most reenactors. Hypocrisy always earns my ire.

Also before we get too far into this thread, don't say its because I'm with mainstream reenactors and I should run with the campaigners. They are the absolute worst offenders and have slapped me away because I'm willing to put up with some lack of period correctness. If someone wants to kill themselves hauling a tent around, I won't say boo.

The hard-core campaigners to me are one of the worst lots because I've seen too many look down their noses at normal reenactors and yet knew just as little of the war while pretending otherwise. I've even had one tell me I'm a monster because I know so much but will put up with farbs (except dismounted cav. they can go straight to the devil!) and am fine with not a hundred percent period correct reenactors.

But to my eye, how many reenactors are between the heights of 5'4 and 6'2 and weigh only 90 pounds or less...

I'm a live let live kind of guy most of the time but I've come to utterly despise hard-core reenactors for their elitist attitude when most them know as little of the war as most reenactors. Hypocrisy always earns my ire.
I'm with you! The "stitch nazis" make everyone's lives more miserable. I'm a stickler for accuracy myself, but that doesn't mean I have to be nasty about it. If someone doesn't have the money to be accurate, give them time to slowly improve their kit. And if they don't have the knowledge, give them the necessary knowledge in a kind way! But don't be nasty, and above all else, DON'T ACT AS THOUGH YOU'RE SUPERIOR TO THEM!!!! It's no wonder not many young people are getting into reenacting, the fanatics scare them away.

...I'm about at my limit, I'm so sick of all the failure and having my hand slapped away in reenacting and with CW heritage organizations like the SCV...I propose to the powers that be that I write a book...to try and correct the extreme lack of knowledge of CW history in the SCV, lay the "Lost Cause" myths to bed once and for all and showing that the truth is better...I'm about sick of trying to do good and being crucified for it with reenactments and the SCV...The insults at reenactments and the SCV...

First of all, whatever association the SCV has with reenactments is incidental. So many reenactments occur with no SCV or SUV sponsorship whatsoever. They don't captain the reenactment ship. Why be so deferential to them?

Secondly, how is it you missed that the first tenant listed in the SCV's founding mission is: "...we will commit to the vindication of the cause for which we fought..." ..Sure, it goes on to mention honoring the Confederate Soldier, but clearly aren't you spitting into the wind with your mission to "...lay the 'Lost Cause' myths to bed once and for all and showing that the truth is better..." *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* I've been told, maybe you can confirm it, that the trend for incoming SCVs, as with you, is to focus more on honoring the Confederate Soldier than "...the cause for which we fought..." ..thus leading to increasing dichotomy within the membership of some chapters.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear your story. I've never reenacted but I have experienced and witnesses very similar scenarios in several organizations in which I was active. Unfortunately, small groups often fall prey to the 'big fish in a small pond' kind of person who takes control and won't let go. Also, since many organizations have a hard time getting members to actually do anything (e.g. become an officer, help with activities) those that do tend to just take over. I've seen this happen in small town and rural county government, too.

I don't know what to tell you - you'll just have to decide if the rewards of being in your groups outweigh the negatives. I don't deal with the sort of thing you describe very well so I just tend to hand in my resignation and find something better to spend my time doing. That's certainly the case now that I'm a geezer; my remaining days are limited and I want to make the most of what I've got left. Others can change the world (younger folks have to live in it longer than me).

Good luck to you in finding a place where you really fit.

I'm with you! The "stitch nazis" make everyone's lives more miserable. I'm a stickler for accuracy myself, but that doesn't mean I have to be nasty about it. If someone doesn't have the money to be accurate, give them time to slowly improve their kit. And if they don't have the knowledge, give them the necessary knowledge in a kind way! But don't be nasty, and above all else, DON'T ACT AS THOUGH YOU'RE SUPERIOR TO THEM!!!! It's no wonder not many young people are getting into reenacting, the fanatics scare them away.

I research and hand sew all my uniforms, yet I'm a hypocrite according to those people. Plus if its a normal event that is either made up or not on the original battlefield, and if there's rain in the forecast I'm not afraid to drag out a tent.

But its not so simple, some of the hard-core fanatics around here are very helpful to new people in the hobby and tolerant if they can't get everything together at once. For mainstream reenactors, and in the SCV that's a huge problem. Two guys fresh out of high school joined my local SCV Camp during the "Great Confederate Purge" and wanted to get into reenacting, I tried to take them under my wing, get them involved with the SCV and my reenacting unit. The SCV wanted to play politics and my unit wasn't anywhere to be found at a local event. The SCV's determination to act like a bunch of fools with the color guard and those two guys wanted no part of it. Hence the Campaigners swooped in and now their with them. I and them for that matter had no support and the SCV payed the price.

I have no problem with doing it right, but what gets me on those guys is they'll drive five hundred miles just to camp and drill, no battle or public, and marvel at themselves for being so accurate yet very few can tell the difference between well researched uniforms and accoutrements, and junk from overseas and look down on others for not being with them and using a tent. I have no use for such people, but I will admit one guy keeps trying to recruit me, and is dumbfounded by my stance.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear your story. I've never reenacted but I have experienced and witnesses very similar scenarios in several organizations in which I was active. Unfortunately, small groups often fall prey to the 'big fish in a small pond' kind of person who takes control and won't let go. Also, since many organizations have a hard time getting members to actually do anything (e.g. become an officer, help with activities) those that do tend to just take over. I've seen this happen in small town and rural county government, too.

I don't know what to tell you - you'll just have to decide if the rewards of being in your groups outweigh the negatives. I don't deal with the sort of thing you describe very well so I just tend to hand in my resignation and find something better to spend my time doing. That's certainly the case now that I'm a geezer; my remaining days are limited and I want to make the most of what I've got left. Others can change the world (younger folks have to live in it longer than me).

Good luck to you in finding a place where you really fit.

It doesn't bug me that I'm not appreciated for what I try to do, but that I'm doing it for others for their sake and ignored for it. The SCV I can let go of, and probably will if this keeps up, but reenacting its my favorite thing to do, and I feel like I'm standing all alone against a tidal wave trying to stop it from going off a cliff.

There's just too many folks set in their ways not willing to give change a chance, unwilling to recruit younger members to keep it going, and then decry the shrinking ranks. Rather than looking to what their doing, and how they can do better, they look to blame modern political issues when those same issues should be pushing us forward. To me its tragic to watch.

Last edited:
I hear you, I’ve had much the same frustration with some people in the hobby. They seem to want to be gatekeepers more than they want others to join the hobby.

I’m all for accuracy in historical presentations, but some people take it too far. It’s one thing to help people to be more accurate it’s another to be a jerk, or use stitch counting as a cover for prejudice. I’m also annoyed by the idea some people have that being accurate means doing exactly the same portrayal as everyone else. 1861-1863 happened, artillery & cab exist, unlike some “hardcore campaigners” will have you believe. My pet peeve is the weird anti-tent macho-men-sleep-in-the-mud thing. It’s just baffling when most of the war people had tents (the extra baggage slowed the armies down, and probably contributed to the Unions early losses). If anything, to be more accurate, we need bigger tents, there is a massive lack of Sibley’s and other conical tents at re-enactments.

I have always believed that the ten foot rule was a good one. If it can't be seen from 10 feet away, there is no reason to get worked up about minor details. You aren't the first person I have heard despairing of the fossilization of the SCV & the UDC. It would appear that the the passage of time is the only thing that will bring change to those organizations.

I used to attend a CW Roundtable that had some serious amateur scholars as members. I learned a lot from those guys. On the other side of the long table that split the room was a group of SCV members who always sat by themselves. One of the other members referred to that side of the table as the 'fact free zone.' In fact, some of those guys were Kluxers. Over a period of ten years, they all died & there is nobody like them likely to take their places. There is hope, I guess.

I hear you, I’ve had much the same frustration with some people in the hobby. They seem to want to be gatekeepers more than they want others to join the hobby.

I’m all for accuracy in historical presentations, but some people take it too far. It’s one thing to help people to be more accurate it’s another to be a jerk, or use stitch counting as a cover for prejudice. I’m also annoyed by the idea some people have that being accurate means doing exactly the same portrayal as everyone else. 1861-1863 happened, artillery & cab exist, unlike some “hardcore campaigners” will have you believe. My pet peeve is the weird anti-tent macho-men-sleep-in-the-mud thing. It’s just baffling when most of the war people had tents (the extra baggage slowed the armies down, and probably contributed to the Unions early losses). If anything, to be more accurate, we need bigger tents, there is a massive lack of Sibley’s and other conical tents at re-enactments.

A Sibley tent and stove would be awesome! I ain't seen one since I got into reenacting 15 years ago.

Me I'll sleep on the ground, Lord knows I could sleep on a rock and be comfortable, and if its on an original battlefield I will sleep on the ground because in my view, I could be sleeping where someone did during the war which to me is a great experience. But if that connection isn't there and the rain is coming a pouring I'll bring a tent. I know at an event that I viewed as my home event at Pleasant Hill Louisiana I've always carried a tent because of rainy forecasts.

That particular event is a good example of what I'm talking about. It has always been the same scenario over and over, and its always on the small narrow stretch of original wartime land. Last time I went in 2015 it had gotten so bad, dang near $20 dollar registration with the meal being only enough to make you mad, no powder and I swore then I wouldn't return till things got put back on track. Then I hear they're restoring the dogtrot house that was during the battle, and bought the old VFW hall, (I assume its membership died out) across the street where Texans smashed through the Union lines during the battle. The Colonel ask me if I'm coming back, "Did y'all tear down that crumbling VFW hall so we can have more space for the battle?" says I, to which the reply is "No we got plenty of land." with me asking "Well what have y'all fixed then?" to which I'm told the Saturday evening ball was moved back to the dogtrot like it used to be. So my exile from my home reenactment continues.

Perfect example of the idiocy going on to me, and when I suggested that old VFW hall that was practically falling down last time I saw it, was declared to be needed for social occasions throughout the year, and their spending money I've heard to keep it up when they could tear that monstrosity down, restore part of the battlefield, and use it during the reenactment expanding it and having most of the original battlefield preserved like it was. I suggested it all I got was blank stares like I just suggested shooting Old Yeller.

Maybe its me I don't know.

First of all, whatever association the SCV has with reenactments is incidental. So many reenactments occur with no SCV or SUV sponsorship whatsoever. They don't captain the reenactment ship. Why be so deferential to them?

Because there's a large amount of reenactors who are members. Very large amount, the way I look at it is why not use that to benefit it. Never said anything about them captaining it, just use reenactments to benefit local SCV Camps.

Secondly, how is it you missed that the first tenant listed in the SCV's founding mission is: "...we will commit to the vindication of the cause for which we fought..." ..Sure, it goes on to mention honoring the Confederate Soldier, but clearly aren't you spitting into the wind with your mission to "...lay the 'Lost Cause' myths to bed once and for all and showing that the truth is better..." *

Also yes I'm probably spitting into the wind, but I'd rather do something to fix the problem than sit by and do nothing. If I end up walking away I can do so with my head held high and say I did everything I could I reckon.

First of all, whatever association the SCV has with reenactments is incidental. So many reenactments occur with no SCV or SUV sponsorship whatsoever. They don't captain the reenactment ship.
@Rusk County Avengers - I agree with Byron to some degree. I saw SCV and reenacting as two different "organizations". Back when I was in the SCV, the reenactors were quite common in the chapter. I tend to think that made some SCV members felt like they were 2nd rate if they were not that reenacting, especially when the SCV had an event and most of those who showed up had reenactor uniforms. So, yes--- you may be seeing both as one single entity. But let's stick with the reenacting aspect as I am interested to hear what you and others think will be the future of this activity.

Even though I have only reenacted for one weekend, I get your frustration. I felt that same frustration over our SCV meetings. The business meetings tended to more political with the side-meetings evolving into a lot of good ole boy talk about hobbies and reenacting. No one wanted to contribute to the newsletter, which I edited and published. I got very little help with my own ancestry research. After I quite, I got more research accomplished, located more ancestors and restored the grave of one ancestor.

I've been told, maybe you can confirm it, that the trend for incoming SCVs, as with you, is to focus more on honoring the Confederate Soldier than "...the cause for which we fought..." ..thus leading to increasing dichotomy within the membership of some chapters.

Just noticed this, didn't realize it was part of your comment. I would say yes, here in NE Texas. The mentality is more that honoring the Confederate soldier is honoring the cause for which they fought among many. I for one am about honoring Confederate soldiers.

As for what I seen elsewhere in this thread, I would say the racist KKK elements of the SCV have died out long ago. I know of one Lost Causey Texas Camp that is very looked down on by the rest of the SCV for actions such as throwing an American flag through a window, and being diehard secessionists but they've been pretty much run off.

There's just too many folks set in their ways not willing to give change a chance, unwilling to recruit younger members to keep it going, and then decry the shrinking ranks. Rather than looking to what their doing, and how they can do better, they look to blame modern political issues when those same issues should be pushing us forward. To me its tragic to watch.

Happens all the time. I sometimes wonder if that's why younger folks tend not to be joiners. It's happening in veterans groups and fraternal societies big time. Locally, the historical society is a good example, too. Organizations are sort of living things and without new, younger blood with new ideas and viewpoints they just wither and die along with their elderly membership.

As you really enjoy being out there and connecting with the past maybe you can find some Zen sort of way to just enjoy the moment and let go of your need to be recognized.

@Rusk County Avengers - I agree with Byron to some degree. I saw SCV and reenacting as two different "organizations". Back when I was in the SCV, the reenactors were quite common in the chapter. I tend to think that made some SCV members felt like they were 2nd rate if they were not that reenacting, especially when the SCV had an event and most of those who showed up had reenactor uniforms. So, yes--- you may be seeing both as one single entity. But let's stick with the reenacting aspect as I am interested to hear what you and others think will be the future of this activity.

Even though I have only reenacted for one weekend, I get your frustration. I felt that same frustration over our SCV meetings. The business meetings tended to more political with the side-meetings evolving into a lot of good ole boy talk about hobbies and reenacting. No one wanted to contribute to the newsletter, which I edited and published. I got very little help with my own ancestry research. After I quite, I got more research accomplished, located more ancestors and restored the grave of one ancestor.

I see the two as different activities and organizations, Lord knows a lot of folks don't. I just see a link between the two and have tried to use that for mutual benefit. If I misled you or anyone on my views that wasn't my intention.

As for reenacting, I don't know about elsewhere, but to my eyes here in the TX-Ark.-LA area politics is eating it alive. Officers have been in command for decades, (not that there's anything wrong with that), and play politics with other reenacting organizations say for example "Hey if we come to your event at Pea Ridge will you come to event in Jefferson where we'll be Union." and so forth. I can see the need for that, but when our officers do that so much and they promise we'll all do that, they don't seem to communicate that to the troops. Hence why at the last Pea Ridge they promised 75 rifles and only 2 showed up. Then there's the recruiting problem, I know of only one unit that actively recruits, the rest don't and seem to expect recruits to come to them, and they blame "The Great Confederate Purge" for that rather than themselves, and the fact is, most units don't want new members. Everyone is buddies and they see no need for new young blood that is most likely to be left-wing yahoos in their view and fail to realize not all young folks are that way or rather don't want too.

Plus there's events collapsing and blame the political situation, yet will change their schedule to be the same weekend as another one, and look for sponsors in the wrong places. After all if a company will sponsor it they need to benefit yet one that died looked to a road construction company a lot, not a sponsor that'll benefit from a reenactment.

At least that's how I see it. I know our officers have ticked me off a lot, because what precious very few events I've been able to go to for the past three years I've had to go Union. I don't have a problem going Federal, none at all I have fun in blue, (unlike many of my compatriots who seethe at it), but when I've hand sewn three new Confederate uniforms for myself and have not yet been allowed to use them at a reenactment, I get PO'd.

Happens all the time. I sometimes wonder if that's why younger folks tend not to be joiners. It's happening in veterans groups and fraternal societies big time. Locally, the historical society is a good example, too. Organizations are sort of living things and without new, younger blood with new ideas and viewpoints they just wither and die along with their elderly membership.

As you really enjoy being out there and connecting with the past maybe you can find some Zen sort of way to just enjoy the moment and let go of your need to be recognized.

Agreed a hundred percent on the first.

I wouldn't say I need to be recognized, I could care less. I don't want to be a big shot, and I don't want to be an officer I'm just working my behind off trying to save two somethings when I see bad decisions happening and no one speaks up. Its when I'm told keep quiet and I don't know anything that I look to need to be recognized. In truth, I prefer being a nobody in the SCV and a private in reenacting, less work more fun is always preferable in my book. I just happen to be the type of idiot who refuses to stand by and do nothing when everything is going downhill.

Looking at this I guess I created my own problems...

I've never been involved in reenacting but have with a lot of other volunteer organizations. Sometimes you can change the way things are done and sometimes you can't. Regardless you'll never be appreciated for all the work and effort. Most people won't even have the slightest clue just how much you have contributed, so you have to get satisfaction from knowing that you've done a good job. Of course having said all that I've often found myself thinking exactly what you are right now which is "why am I killing myself here". Good luck and hang in there....or don't if it gets to be too much.

...I've hand sewn three new Confederate uniforms for myself and have not yet been allowed to use them at a reenactment...

OK things have definitely gone far enough. The water has passed the bridge imho, pard, if you don't see it. You need to reject being rejected. Whatever else it's claimed to be, reenacting is a hobby, and it is owned by no one.

Can I be bold? You need to be initiating events with civic venues independently -- in other words unpack and use those excellent Confederate uniforms. I know something about this, as over the past three years me and some of my pards began operating independently from our long-time Union unit (though amicably, as we've not had the kind of ridiculous problems you've described with your situation). We engage with the SUV when it's appropriate but there's no expectation. It's even become that we get paid to be at some events. We do Confederate when we want.

Here's bold advice: You begin (step one) by offering a living history camp at one of the local town fairs, or by offering a visit to a local junior high school (by standards, that's when curriculum begins covering the CW as real history). For the town fairs, get to the local visitor's bureau or the town fair coordinator; for the schools use any connections you have to get to the Principal or Social Studies teacher at the school. Sometimes a local Museum has a presentation day, get to the Director. Let them know you're proud to be an SCV, but that you don't speak for the SCV.

If you get a gig, bring one of your pards with you. By a couple years your little living history can segway into a larger living history (step two) of a dozen or so pards, and in a couple more years can ignite into a civic-sponsored full-up reenactment, a component of the town fair typically. That's step three, which requires building a venue relationship, being observant and suggesting things to the right people at the right time. If the SCV wants "in" at that point let them ...with the understanding that it's your and your buds and your family that are the primary contacts with the venue.

I can practically guarantee that you can accomplish step one by next year, and I can tell you that step two is a realistic, achievable goal. I've personally seen how things get to step three, though admittedly there's a big element of luck there. It typically turns on some momentary window of inspiration of someone new to their position in the venue, and you being there to feed that inspiration.

But aside from all of that, you're a Texan. You and your pards can do your own thing on any weekend and on any public or private land that you can get permission for. If by word-of-mouth and drive-bys people begin to stop by, oh well. If it becomes an annual Memorial day thing, oh well.

Last edited:
The SCV camp I attend has its reenactors and I've been invited to attend a reenactment by the camp commander but there is no compulsion to reenact and the members are treated with respect whether they are into reenacting or not. I would not want to join a SCV camp that looked down upon members who are not into reenacting and tried to compel them to do something that they were not interested in. One of reasons I joined the camp I am now a member of is that one of the first things my camp commander told me when I expressed my interest in joining is that racism would not be tolerated among its members. I joined the SCV because I have an interest in history and its preservation, not because I have a political agenda or an axe to grind with with my fellow men who have a different ethnic background.

Last edited:
Back