Do you think these reproductions could be used to make outfit for colonial or revolutionary period

rknarr2

Private
IMG_5669.JPGIMG_5652.JPGIMG_5653.JPGIMG_5648.JPGIMG_5651.JPGIMG_5645.JPGIMG_5647.JPGIMG_5641.JPGIMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5669.JPG IMG_5652.JPG IMG_5653.JPG IMG_5648.JPG IMG_5651.JPG IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5643.JPG IMG_5632.JPG IMG_5633.JPG IMG_5634.JPG IMG_5635.JPG IMG_5636.JPG IMG_5618.JPG IMG_5622.JPG IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5627.JPG IMG_5940.JPG
Hi, My husband past away from melanoma and left me with lots of his stuff to deal with. I am trying
to educate myself. I am 87 so please be patient with me. Here are some of my questions:
1. Do you think this would be a period correct outfit as a reproduction for colonial or revolutionary time period?

2. Would you see flat buttons or round buttons during colonial or revolutionary period like on cuffs of shirts or pants.
3. Please identify the clothing in the first picture like for example
a. What is the coat called?
b. What are the undershirts called?
c. What is the flap in the front that buttons down called on the pants?
d. What are the side buttons down the side of the pants called?
e. What are the leather straps used for on the socks?

4. What do you think all of this reproduction colonial or revolutionary stuff would be worth?
Thank you.
Joan Cummings

I really can't answer your questions as I don't reenact but I'm sure some of our re-enactors can help. paging @captaindrew and all our other re-enactors can help this sweet lady out?

I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately my knowledge of colonial clothing is very limited. Heck according to my wife I can barely dress myself with modern clothing! Hopefully someone here will be able to assist you! It appears your husband dressed in these? Was he a part of a living history group or living history museum? Or is there a living history museum close to you that could assist you? Best wish and good luck!

Hi, My husband past away from melanoma and left me with lots of his stuff to deal with. I am trying
to educate myself. I am 87 so please be patient with me. Here are some of my questions:
1. Do you think this would be a period correct outfit as a reproduction for colonial or revolutionary time period?

2. Would you see flat buttons or round buttons during colonial or revolutionary period like on cuffs of shirts or pants.

4. What do you think all of this reproduction colonial or revolutionary stuff would be worth?
Thank you.
Joan Cummings
My knowledge of colonial clothing is pretty limited. James N. would be the one to ask on this one.

Mrs. Cummings, ALL these things - with the possible exception of the flowered shirt - are part of a Colonial or Revolutionary impression. What you're calling a coat is properly a hunting shirt; the others are just shirts or overshirts not undershirts, because although they are worn under the other one, they are pulled over the head. The breeches (pants) are called simply flap-front or short fall because of the relative narrowness of the flap, which is simply called a flap or fall. I don't recall the buttons and side slit having a particular name but are features commonly found on breeches like this. (Although you didn't ask, the vest is a waistcoat.) All the buttons, except possibly those on the flowered shirt, are correct for the period. The straps likely have nothing to do with the stockings (socks); I believe they are used to secure the tops of leggings like in the photo below:

JN_001%20(35).jpg

As to value, I'm afraid I unfortunately have no practical information; it might be best to offer it as a lot rather than try to parcel it out individually.

Mrs. Cummings, ALL these things - with the possible exception of the flowered shirt - are part of a Colonial or Revolutionary impression. What you're calling a coat is properly a hunting shirt; the others are just shirts or overshirts not undershirts, because although they are worn under the other one, they are pulled over the head. The breeches (pants) are called simply flap-front or short fall because of the relative narrowness of the flap, which is simply called a flap or fall. I don't recall the buttons and side slit having a particular name but are features commonly found on breeches like this. (Although you didn't ask, the vest is a waistcoat.) All the buttons, except possibly those on the flowered shirt, are correct for the period. The straps likely have nothing to do with the stockings (socks); I believe they are used to secure the tops of leggings like in the photo below:

View attachment 198021

As to value, I'm afraid I unfortunately have no practical information; it might be best to offer it as a lot rather than try to parcel it out individually.
Thank you for the information and the names of the articles of clothes. My husband was into wearing a lot of hats. Joan Cummings

I really can't answer your questions as I don't reenact but I'm sure some of our re-enactors can help. paging @captaindrew and all our other re-enactors can help this sweet lady out?
Although my ancestor was not a colonel in the civil war, he was a 2nd lieutenant. After the war, he was in the national guard and at some point before retirement became a captain.

View attachment 197931 View attachment 197932 View attachment 197933 View attachment 197934 View attachment 197935 View attachment 197936 View attachment 197937 View attachment 197941 View attachment 197942 View attachment 197943 View attachment 197944 View attachment 197945 View attachment 197946 View attachment 197947 View attachment 197948 View attachment 197949 View attachment 197950 View attachment 197951 View attachment 197957

Thank you.
Joan Cummings

Harriet Ingler
http://www.harriets.com/about.html
she would be able to help

I'm sorry for your loss Mrs. Cummings. Perhaps you or someone you know can contact these kind people at Townsends. They are very knowledge about this period and in fact have a reenactment series on You Tube to teach people how to reenact and focus on this era. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.
Main Phone# 1-800-338-1665
Questions #: 1-574-594-5852
email: [email protected]

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss Mrs. Cummings. Perhaps you or someone you know can contact these kind people at Townsends. They are very knowledge about this period and in fact have a reenactment series on You Tube to teach people how to reenact and focus on this era. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.
Main Phone# 1-800-338-1665
Questions #: 1-574-594-5852
email: [email protected]
I will email her my questions and pictures. Thank you. rknarr2

Back