What is this? Do the initials T.J.R. stand for Thomas Jefferson Rodman?

Wallyfish

Sergeant Major
Honored Fallen Comrade
Can anyone confirm that tube #72 from the Revere Copper Company was inspected by Thomas Jefferson Rodman? I have found other sources that rodman inspected or proofed other Revere tubes, but no source documents this tube. This tube is found in the Gettysburg National Cemetery.

IMG_3306.JPG

Last edited:
He is listed in several CW artillery books as an inspector of US artillery prior to him inventing the Rodman gun. There are no others with the TJR initials listed.

Hazlett, James C., Olmstead, Edwin and M. Hume Parks (2004) Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War ( U. of Illinois Press), appendix 11G, p 279 confirms that Rodman was the inspector of this tube on 7 June 1862.

Edit: btw, it's Thomas Jefferson Rodman.

@John Winn , Thank you so much. I have no idea where I got the Jackson from. I corrected my post. You were very helpful.

Update. I posted this photo on a Gettysburg Facebook photo group. Several artillery guru's quickly corrected Ridman's middle name to Jackson.

The source book that @John Winn referenced had an incorrect middle name of Jefferson for Rodman. This thread was too old to edit. As a CWT trivia player I am all too well of contradictory info from different sources. But I always strive for accuracy. So the name is Thomas Jackson Rodman.

By the way, the Napoleon next to this tube in the National Cemetery has battle damage. But I saw how clearly legible the stamping is on this tube, I had to get a shot of it. I hope you found this thread interesting.

Update:

Well, it seems that Thomas' middle name was, indeed, Jackson. Hazlet et al. say in their index that, according to "Army records" - not specifically noted - his middle name was Jefferson although there is one signature "clearly saying Jackson." Having not studied Rodman at length I just took their word for it and posted my 'correction.' Seems I'm the one who needs correcting. Hazlet et al. seem to be the only ones who say Rodman's middle name was Jefferson. Oh well ... live and learn.

Back