Restricted Do Rebels deserve new monuments?

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
It would be nice to include portraits of African Amercians & women along with immigrants who made NYC the amazing city it is today but not at the expense of taking Washington down.

Exactly. As I've said before, rather than tearing down existing monuments, put up new memorials. Expand the amount of history that we honor and remember. Teach, don't destroy.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
What does 'remembered' mean? Should the good be remembered as good, the bad be remembered as bad? and who decides between good and bad? Or is remembering less judgmental?

My apologies for not being clear, I meant it in the context of history in general should be remembered, including monuments in and around battlefields along with historical markers and other monuments; unless as I mentioned in a previous post, if people put it to a vote or whatever they deem appropriate they are more than happy to take down whatever they want for whatever reason.

As for those ostentatious monuments, I was not familiar with any such Confederate monuments and yes those are glorifying. I haven't had the opportunity to travel extensively in the south and personally was only familiar with smaller monuments.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
George Washington is my second cousin eight times removed and Martha also on my mothers side. I do not think George would want to be in the same room with the greasy mayor of New York.

I agree, I'm sure George wouldn't want his portrait hanging in a home with such a man living in it either! And I'm not disparaging the mayor for his desire to want to include others who have been denied portraiture in the mansion, it's his overall demeanor and policies that are the problem for most New Yorkers.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
My apologies for not being clear, I meant it in the context of history in general should be remembered, including monuments in and around battlefields along with historical markers and other monuments; unless as I mentioned in a previous post, if people put it to a vote or whatever they deem appropriate they are more than happy to take down whatever they want for whatever reason.

As for those ostentatious monuments, I was not familiar with any such Confederate monuments and yes those are glorifying. I haven't had the opportunity to travel extensively in the south and personally was only familiar with smaller monuments.

Take a trip to Richmond, VA and drive down Monument Avenue. :smile:

By the way, I really like Monument Avenue. I think the monuments are beautiful from an artistic point of view. That trip to Richmond will be well worth it. :smile:

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I agree, I'm sure George wouldn't want his portrait hanging in a home with such a man living in it either! And I'm not disparaging the mayor for his desire to want to include others who have been denied portraiture in the mansion, it's his overall demeanor and policies that are the problem for most New Yorkers.

The mayor is only a temporary occupant of the house. I think Washington would understand that.