Do Civil War photographs match today’s digital images in showing details?

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
1594491059652.png

To say that Garry Adelman is enthusiastic about Civil War photography would be an understatement at the very least. The Director of History and Education at the American Battlefield Trust is also vice president of the Center for Civil War Photography as well as a very energetic licensed battlefield guide at Gettysburg.
Frequently Adelman will present “Civil War Photography Extravaganzas.” It’s a humorous and fast-paced show of photographs to help educate the audience about a battlefield and to develop an understanding of what happened, who was involved and the need for preservation.
I have seen several of these extravaganzas and they are always fun.

Adelman and his co-workers are constantly...

Rest of Article: https://www.timesnews.net/living/do...cle_3281d122-c14b-11ea-b1b5-0fcc76112510.html

View attachment 366031

To say that Garry Adelman is enthusiastic about Civil War photography would be an understatement at the very least. The Director of History and Education at the American Battlefield Trust is also vice president of the Center for Civil War Photography as well as a very energetic licensed battlefield guide at Gettysburg.
Frequently Adelman will present “Civil War Photography Extravaganzas.” It’s a humorous and fast-paced show of photographs to help educate the audience about a battlefield and to develop an understanding of what happened, who was involved and the need for preservation.
I have seen several of these extravaganzas and they are always fun.

Adelman and his co-workers are constantly...

Rest of Article: https://www.timesnews.net/living/do...cle_3281d122-c14b-11ea-b1b5-0fcc76112510.html

My hometown paper!

Well, the large format certainly does ensure a lot of detail but there's also a lot missing that digital images have such as color and light values which allow for detailed digital editing. Very good digital cameras now can capture much more detail (i.e. megapixels).

That said, those old cameras took remarkably good images for the time. They were a lot better than most 35mm film cameras 100 years later.

Back