Forrest DNA sample for N.B. Forrest?

Forrest requested that he be buried in Elmwood Cemetery near his four brothers who all served in the Confederate Cavalry. As per his directions he was buried in Elmwood in 1877. However, his son William, gave the consent for his father and mother’s remains to be moved about 1 1/2 miles to Forrest Park in 1904.

Now that the remains are being removed and relocated once more, why in the world would they take DNA samples from Forrest’s bones? With all the indignities this intensely proud man’s body has suffered, why would you want to do more? He was positively ID when he was buried, interred and reburied so there is no need to further prove that it is Forrest’s remains!!
Regards
David

I see no reason to do so and wish this wasn't even happening. We have many samples of Forrest's DNA around after all, locks of hair in various places I think, and items like this vest in a recent thread with his DNA all over it:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/general-nathan-bedford-forrest-vest-sells-for-amazing-price.184979/

As for proving whether or not many of the claimants of his bloodline, I imagine many of them wouldn't want to risk their claims proven true or false, as it would be scandalous right now if the latter and they probably wouldn't believe it anyway. Lots of numbskulls, some who've written laughable books about Forrest are most likely not related at all and have have everything to lose.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the "Forrest Family" that the SCV is using to profit from the remains have no relation to the good General and his wife whatsoever.

But for all I or anyone else knows, Tennessee law may require such a test to confirm they are who they most definitely are when exhumed. It would be hilarious if the imbeciles who gave the remains to the SCV are exposed to be frauds, and could be a good thing in my book. He'll just get dug up again in ten to twenty years going where he's going after the banks foreclose on SCV HQ and it dissolves due to bad policies and lack of new non-gray haired recruits, and then they may not get a final resting place then as the history destroyers get more radical by the day.

Those samples (locks of hair, blood on cloth) could easily be false, purposeful or not. A sample from his remains would be invaluable as it is most certainly the olde general's DNA.
Well even though its pretty taboo, I'd be good with it just so all the jackals running amok can be exposed or confirmed, but I don't see it happening.

Also I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss artifacts.

What is gained by securing DNA samples from Forrest? All his relatives have been ID, or have they not?
Regards
David
There are a LOT of folks who claim to be direct descendants, even some from a supposed, (and I'd call a hundred percent fraudulent), line claiming he had illegitimate children in Texas and elsewhere after the war. Heck I seem to remember something about some Jamaicans claiming him...

While they're VERY tightlipped about it, a few sources allege a man with the last name Forrest is the one who gave the remains to the SCV, which there's zero chance of him being related since the very last male bearer of the name in Forrest's family died over Germany in WW2 (Nathan Bedford Forrest III).

To be honest, and I don't like it, DNA tests confirm and deny a lot of people who may or may not have Forrest's best interest at heart. Which is why I imagine it won't happen. Forrest was famous and a legend, he draws false claims of blood ties like a "number two" does flies, much like a lot of British Royalty.

Forrest requested that he be buried in Elmwood Cemetery near his four brothers who all served in the Confederate Cavalry. As per his directions he was buried in Elmwood in 1877. However, his son William, gave the consent for his father and mother’s remains to be moved about 1 1/2 miles to Forrest Park in 1904.

Now that the remains are being removed and relocated once more, why in the world would they take DNA samples from Forrest’s bones? With all the indignities this intensely proud man’s body has suffered, why would you want to do more? He was positively ID when he was buried, interred and reburied so there is no need to further prove that it is Forrest’s remains!!
Regards
David
Very well said !

DNA testing is fine when you're trying to establish a relationship where documentation doesn't exist but that shouldn't be the case here. I'd expect that birth, marriage and death records are sufficient to establish lineage from and to Forrest.
Absolutely !

I'm all for using DNA samples/tests to shed light on any historic mystery.

But this is not a mystery.

Forrest's death in late 1877, is better documented than many famous figures that passed after World War II.
Come to think of it, the cause of Forrest's death is much easier to document than Princess Diana's death in 1997.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the olde general is going to have his DNA extracted?
Is there a specific reason to study his DNA, i.e., a record of family illness, ancestry research, and others?

I'd like to see a sample of Grant's DNA to test my theory that he lacked the gene that is responsible for producing the alcohol metabolizing enzymes, and would account for his appearing intoxicated with only a small amount of wine or whiskey.

Regards
David
Amen,let him rest in peace

I'd like to see a sample of Grant's DNA to test my theory that he lacked the gene that is responsible for producing the alcohol metabolizing enzymes, and would account for his appearing intoxicated with only a small amount of wine or whiskey.
Well ... that is indeed interesting.

But I think you might get more feedback if you also post your Grant DNA theory in the Grant forum.

No doubt the Forrest aficionados would be interested ... but I think the Ulysses S. Grant folks could provide better insight.

Back