NC Discovery Of A Nearly-forgotten Freedmen's Cemetery In Zebulon, Nc

All good questions here. In the Wake County property records, no owner is listed for this property. In that field, only the word "Cemetary" appears, spelled that way. Makes me wonder whether this might be a class of property that is just perpetually semi-public. The High family member I'm in touch with seems interested in cleaning up the plot. Her great-grandmother is buried there. I encouraged her to look up the relevant regulations and procedures, also to read through the excellent comments here.

Here is the text of the property record for this plot:

Property:1796317437

PIN1796317437
Real Estate ID0189902
Map Name1796 03
OwnerCEMETARY
Mailing Address 1UNKNOWN
Mailing Address 2RALEIGH NC 27636
Mailing Address 3
Deed Book001159
Deed Page0000E
Deed Date01/01/1987
Deeded Acreage0.50
Assessed Building Value0.00
Assessed Land Value9,000.00
Total Assessed Value9,000.00
Billing ClassExempt
Property DescriptionCEMETERY
Heated Area
Site Address0 RILEY HILL RD
City
TownshipLittle River
Year Built
Total Sale Price
Sale Date
Type and Use
Design Style
Land ClassCemetery
Exempt DescriptionCEMETERY
Exempt Status782
Ownership1,060
Activity9,000
Function9,900
Structure9,000
Site6,600
Total Structures1
Total Units0
Old Parcel Number420-00000-0082

Roy B.
Then its rather mysterious why whoever the owners are/were have failed to provide care and maintenance.......Normally here if not privately owned by the landowner, some church or cemetery association would have been involved.

Kinda strange in 1987 it would be deeded separate if not to a current association at the time......without putting up the monetary sum to the county clerk for perpetual maintenance of an abandoned cemetery.

Last edited:

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Most people buying land out in the country do so for privacy. With a sudden influx of city assessors, or land plat measurers that peaceful privacy could very well be disturbed. And afterward once it is a known point for visitation it could be declared a nuisance by the owners nearby.
Lubliner.

A. Roy

First Sergeant
Forum Host
There is a small abandoned cemetery near Bagley in Johnston Co. NC that has some Highs buried. Wonder if they could be related to your Highs.

Could be. Bagley's not that far from Zebulon. It seems like I've run across some Highs from that area in census searches. I'm primarily interested in Isaac High (abt 1840-1934), who worked on the fortifications here in Raleigh. There were a few different Isaac or Isaiah Highs, so I was looking at a lot of different records. The High family has turned out to be an interesting story.

Roy B.