Discover Richmond: American Civil War Museum
Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

55f87a3d98d80.image.jpg

Mark Gormus

A group from Chimborazo Elementary School takes a tour at the National Park Service Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond VA Wed. May 22, 2013.

........................ ADVERTISEMENT ......................

Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 2:30 pm

BY KATHERINE CALOS Richmond Times-Dispatch

When the museum with the world's premier collection of Civil War artifacts from the South merged with the interpretive center on the city's premier Civil War riverfront site, the American Civil War Museum was born.

The Museum of the Confederacy and the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar both focused on the four years when Richmond had its highest profile on the world stage: its time as capital of the Confederate States of America.

More: http://www.richmond.com/discover-richmond/article_d0466656-2dfd-5b1f-9b35-331c665940d9.html

Does anyone know - does this museum rotate artifacts with the museum of the confederacy? Curious to see what the CW museum has...it'll be on my list for my next Richmond visit.

In November 2013, the Museum of the Confederacy was merged with the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar.[1] In January 2014, it was announced that the new combined institution would be called theAmerican Civil War Museum.[2]

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

55f87a3d98d80.image.jpg

Mark Gormus

A group from Chimborazo Elementary School takes a tour at the National Park Service Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond VA Wed. May 22, 2013.

When the museum with the world's premier collection of Civil War artifacts from the South merged with the interpretive center on the city's premier Civil War riverfront site, the American Civil War Museum was born.

The Museum of the Confederacy and the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar both focused on the four years when Richmond had its highest profile on the world stage: its time as capital of the Confederate States of America.

More: http://www.richmond.com/discover-richmond/article_d0466656-2dfd-5b1f-9b35-331c665940d9.html

I visited Richmond a couple of years ago and was able to see the Museum of the Confederacy. I didn't have enough time to visit Tredegar. I hope to get back there next summer.

- Alan

I visited both the Museum of the Confederacy and Historic Tredegar this spring. We also had a chance to see the The Museum of the Confederacy-Appomattox in Appomattox and the new museum at Sailor's Creek. I also was given tours of 6 other Battlefields and did a day long tour of the Appomattox Campaign in a tour bus. It was a lot to see in 4 days and I needed to rest when I got home.

On my way to Richmond in two weeks. There is so much to see in Richmond and the surrounding area. I hope to see it. Thank you for posting.

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

55f87a3d98d80.image.jpg

Mark Gormus

Going to Richmond/Petersburg this January. Those museums and White House Of The Confederacy are on a Friday itinerary.

Back