Discharged by Order of War Department?

rebracer

Sergeant
This may be too general of a question but does anyone have a better understanding of what the statement on a discharge paper stating "by order of the War Department CS of A" could mean specifically? I dont have any other details concerning this or providing more detail and the other documents simply state discharged on order of war department. Attached is a copy of the document.

I am researching an ancestor who was a private in the 1st Battalion Alabama Artillery in 1861, he was discharged then later re-enlisted in the 40th Alabama Inf. as 1st Sgt and served the rest of the war until the final surrender where he was Jr. 2nd Lt. of Co. E 40th Alabama.

The discovery of his service in the 1st Artillery was striking to me as we had never known this and the early discharge (and not simply a transfer) is strange to me. Was a discharge in lieu of a transfer done early war? Could this be because of switching from Artillery to Infantry (I would think not)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I work through this new mystery.

TJ LEE DISCHARGE.jpg

As a follow up, when reviewing other men in this same unit I found a discharge paper for his brother G W Lee that states "by order of the war department" as well. Now I am even more curious.

Their other brother B F Lee was discharged at this same time as well but it was due to "disability" and "rheumatism".

By the way their initials mean Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin Lee, respectively.

Last edited:
Back