Direct Descendent of James Cuthbert of Castle Hill & Colonial Edward Barnwell

Smalls347

Cadet
New person, first post!

I am a direct descendant of James Cuthbert of Castle Hill, Scotland. James landed in Beaufort in 1737 and rebuilt castle hill there. My family lived in the home in Beaufort until mid 1850ish.

I am also a direct descendant of Colonial Edward Barnwell and Francis Lasak. Francis did not fight in the war, he was a fur trader partner of John Jacob Astor in NYC. His daughter, Ophelia, married Edward Barnwell. When the soldiers came through the house in Beaufort, Ophelia fled via underground tunnel to NYC. Ophelia and Edwards portraits hang in my home. The family was able to save some furniture, silverware, etc because it was buried before the troops came through.

I have quite a lot of history as well as stories that have been handed down over the years. Maybe I have a missing piece someone has been looking for. If anyone has any questions about either of those lineages, please reach out!

I don’t know if your Francis Lasak is the same as mine, but mine was born in Austria in 1799, and passed away in NY on February 16, 1889. Mine also left an estate of $6,000,000 when he passed, and was in the fur business, he walked from Prague to Berlin when he was 13, and came to this country in 1819, when he was 20 and flat broke. He would marry an English gal named Harriet in the states. Ours both seem similar and I am related to him through his daughter Ophelia, and her son, my great-grandfather, Frank Lasak Cuthbert, who then had my grandfather, Val, in 1907. Val was 22 years older than my other grandpapa and it was funny when they would meet, as they looked like father and son, not like they were both grandfather’s 😂. Let me know if this is the same guy.

(FYI: I was disconnected from my maternal side of my family as a child, and only saw both of my grandfathers together in pictures I found in my paternal grandfathers attic after his passing, which was just quite recently, I assume they were at my parents wedding.)

Smalls347

Cadet
Yes!!!!! This is the same Francis! Oh my gosh, if I have this correct - you are the grandson of Val Sanford, 12/28/1907 and 2/9/1998?!

Val was brown in Brownsville, TN. The family had a 4,000 acre farm in Brownsville with an aviary house. Your grandfather, Val, was my great-grandmother's brother! If this is all sound familiar, please message me! The portrait we have is of Ophelia, the daughter of Francis NYC fur trader. I posted in here in hopes that a relative of the Lasak's was out there! Ophelia was actually what started my whole family obsession years ago.

Yes!!!!! This is the same Francis! Oh my gosh, if I have this correct - you are the grandson of Val Sanford, 12/28/1907 and 2/9/1998?!

Val was brown in Brownsville, TN. The family had a 4,000 acre farm in Brownsville with an aviary house. Your grandfather, Val, was my great-grandmother's brother! If this is all sound familiar, please message me! The portrait we have is of Ophelia, the daughter of Francis NYC fur trader. I posted in here in hopes that a relative of the Lasak's was out there! Ophelia was actually what started my whole family obsession years ago.
Yes, Val Sanford Cuthbert, son of Frank Lasak Cuthbert, grandson of Ophelia (Lasak) Cuthbert, and great-grandson of Francis W. Lasak.