Dinwiddie

White Flint Bill

Sergeant
Dinwiddie Court House was built in 1851, though the portico is more recent.

084.jpg

An important action that was the prelude to the Battle of Five Forks was fought here on March 31, 1865, as was a skirmish in the Wilson-Kautz Raid in 1864.

088.jpg

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

The famous black cabinetmaker Thomas Day was born in Dinwiddie, as was the modiste (and confidant of Mary Lincoln) Elizabeth Keckley. It is also the hometown of Winfield Scott.

086.jpg

087.jpg

I'm not aware of any Civil War significance, but thought this old bank building was neat.

119.jpg

A quiet little country village with lots of history.

085.jpg

080.jpg

The famous black cabinetmaker Thomas Day was born in Dinwiddie,
Im so glad you mentioned Thomas Day. I'm fascinated by his work and his ability to make his mark in the antebellum south. He became the most in-demand pre-CW master craftsman and yet, most people dont know of his work. Maybe a subject for a separate thread for folks who might not be aware? It's a great story! And some fantastic craftsmanship.

Im so glad you mentioned Thomas Day. I'm fascinated by his work and his ability to make his mark in the antebellum south. He became the most in-demand pre-CW master craftsman and yet, most people dont know of his work. Maybe a subject for a separate thread for folks who might not be aware? It's a great story! And some fantastic craftsmanship.

Good idea. The story of Thomas Day and his family is indeed fascinating. I've been doing a lot of research on him lately so maybe I will start a thread about him, although I'll have to think up a way to make it relevant to the Civil War.

I was surprised to find no historical markers in Dinwiddie commemorating either him or Elizabeth Keckley. There was quite a bit about Keckley in Petersburg. To be fair, of course, Thomas Day made his name and career in piedmont North Carolina.

Dinwiddie Court House was built in 1851, though the portico is more recent.

View attachment 312678

An important action that was the prelude to the Battle of Five Forks was fought here on March 31, 1865, as was a skirmish in the Wilson-Kautz Raid in 1864.

View attachment 312684

View attachment 312679

View attachment 312680

View attachment 312681

The famous black cabinetmaker Thomas Day was born in Dinwiddie, as was the modiste (and confidant of Mary Lincoln) Elizabeth Keckley. It is also the hometown of Winfield Scott.

View attachment 312682

View attachment 312683

I'm not aware of any Civil War significance, but thought this old bank building was neat.

View attachment 312685

A quiet little country village with lots of history.

View attachment 312686

View attachment 312687
Thanks for the pictures.

1561464521735.png

A statue of Thomas Day is one of three statues on the steps of the North Carolina Museum of History in Raleigh, North Carolina,

Back