Dimensions for 1842 or 1816 US Muskets?

Zachary

Cadet
I've been wanting to work on making an 1842 musket replica myself, and have had a difficult time finding any trace of blueprints or dimensions for the stock, much less the other parts such as the lock plate, trigger, hammer, etc.
If anyone can provide resources or information on the dimensions of the stock (length, height, width) it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
And if you have any other dimensions for the lock plate, hammer, and such that would also be great.
Thank you!

You will most likely not find what you are looking for. Your best bet will be to find someone with an original who will disassemble it for you and permit you to dimension it to your own satisfaction.
J.

I guess what you are talking about is sanding & finishing a Dunlop gunstock blank because you really can't "make" your own barrel, hardware and lock assembly. This is not a lot different than building a musket from a kit I suppose, but you would be money and time to the good with just defarbing the excellent Armi Sport US 1842 reproduction. A lot less work, too.

1816 U.S. Musket (543)
This 1816 had the longest production of any U.S. musket. It was made from 1816 to 1844 at Springfield and Harpers Ferry. The 1816 muskets were still not totally interchangeable weapons, you will find many different sizes in lock parts and trigger guards. It has a 42" round barrel, in .69 caliber. We make all parts for this musket and have the stock and barrel patterns available for those of you who want to build a completely correct musket. The correct bayonet is now available. The lock plate measures 6 1/4" x 1 1/4". The throw of the cock is 2".
543 BAY Bayonet $99.95
543 PARTS Parts Set with Set of Lock Castings $950.00
543 PARTSAS Parts Set with Assembled Lock $1095.00
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/us_arms/(543).htm

U.S. Model 1835 and 1842 Musket (663)
We have put these together as they share all parts except the locks. The 1835 was the last U.S. flintlock. The 1842 was the first percussion musket. We make all parts for both guns, the only difference between the two models are the locks, one being flint and the other percussion. We are also offering the Palmetto marked lock.
663 PARTS-42 Parts Set with Set of Lock Castings 1842 $1095.00
663 PARTSAS-42 Parts Set with Assembled Lock 1842 $1195.00
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/us_arms/(663).htm

Back