different Accoutrement systems in the 1860's

thomas aagaard

Captain
this topic (http://civilwartalk.com/threads/british-accoutrements-for-enfield.72317/) got me thinking about different Accoutrement systems in the 1860' s.

It is my impression that back when everyone used flintlock muskets most western armies basically used the same system. A cartridgebox hanging on the small of the back from a sling, resting on the left shoulder.

But by the 1860ties I noticed a number of different systems used by different armies.
All had the challenge of adding some way to carry percussion caps. And the usual problem of combining highest rate of firepower possible with protecting the cartridges the rest of the time.

The US still had the cartridge box hanging from the left shoulder, with two tins. Top rooms holding cartridges ready for use. The lower rooms cartridges in arsenal packs.
The percussion caps was in a cap punch on the waist belt. (with 20% extra caps)

The Austrians used one cartrigebox hanging from the left shoulder. And had the cap punch on the cartrigebox belt. On the middle of the body.
Don't know if they used tins or similar.
Anyone know?

The british also had the cartridge box hanging from the left shoulder, but it was only used to hold the cartridges still in arsenal packs.
The cartridges that was to be ready was in a "ball bag" on the front right of the body.
The caps was in a cap pouch on the cartridge sling. on the center of the body.
10 years later, with the introduction of breach loaded rifles they had changed to having two smaller boxes on the front.

The danish army first added a cap pouch on the cartridge sling. on the center of the body.
(This was done in 1849 during the 1st Sleswig war. And they changed the uniform color from read to blue and the leather from white to black.)

Then during the 1850ties change to having two smaller cartridge boxes on the front. With 15 cartridges in each. and the 36 caps in a smaller room in the right one.(also 20% extra caps)
To help carry the weight of the cartridges the the "backpack" had straps that could be attached under the belt, helping distribute the weight properly.
One regiment didn't use the standard two boxes, but one bigger instead. Hanging at the center of the body. Again with a smaller room for the caps. (this was a type captured in large numbers during the 1st sleswig war)

The Prussian was by 1864 using two smaller boxes on the front holding their self-contained cartridges.
Since they had changed to breach loaded rifles it makes sense that they where also chanced the way the ammo was carried.

Anyone know what the french did?

Anyone know of any american debates about the equipment before the war?
(I know that the US and danish armies exchanged a set of infantry and a set of cavalry gear in 1858 to get inspirations from each other)

The French used a box, about the same size as the US, on a belt that rode on the butt cheek until needed then slid around front I'm not certain if the caps were in a separate compartment of that pouch or not.
French La Legion Etrangere.jpg
French Army.jpg
French Army Voltegiers.jpg
French Army 2.jpg
French Army 3.jpg

Thanks for the illustrations.
I mainly started the topic since I have been noticing the different ways the armies dealt with the issue of how to carry the caps and cartriges after the change to (rifled) percussion muskets... and thought someone might have some insights to why the different solutions was used.
Maybe someone know about some article about it in period military literature?

Or simply raise the point that there where many different solutions.

Carrying a full cartrigebox only on the waist belt... as it look like the french do sound like a rather bad idea... And adding a "sidearm" like both french and danes used make it a lot worse... (it works badly with the danish system, without the backback... even with just blanks... the weight of the sidearm drags the belt down)

That is, unless the backpack is attached to the belt then it works fine..
And it do look a lot like this is also the case with the french system.

I usually have the waist belt over the cartrigebox sling... since it help keep it in place... and it is my impression that most reenactors do it like this.
But I have noticed that the drill books mention that it should be brought to the front when firing... something that is not easily done...
(Whenever the loadings and firings are to be executed the instructor will cause the cartridge boxes to be brought to the front)
Have been wondering if that is an indirect commend that the box should be hanging free above the belt.
Naturally my experience is that it works better having it under... but that is with blank cartriges...
Need to try it one day with the correct weight of lead and powder... and take a walk and do some drill to see if it is an issue. or not.

Back