Discussion "Died of gunshot wounds" ?

LSBusch

Private
Nobody mentioned it, but it should be noted on that list provided @Story, I scrolled down to Wilkinson, Henry Clay and noted a '40th Anniversary Brouchure' in the adjoined information. It seems the gathering of records occurred over a period of time.
Lubliner.
I spent some time searching yesterday. I have concluded that the anniversary publications were the brochures written by Cyrus Peterson. He and Joseph Hanson wrote their book about 50 years after the battle, so I assumed most of the information in the brochures was rolled into the book. When I was writing that part of my book, I stopped looking for the brochures when I found the book.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

LSBusch

Private
Following up--my email was forwarded to the helpful and knowledgeable librarian at Pilot Knob. He immediately sent me the "graphic image" of my ancestor; unfortunately it was a drawing of him that I had already. (I was assuming another definition of "graphic" when I saw it on the list.)

I praised the extensive lists they've compiled, and part of his response might be of interest:

For the convenient and massive lists of names, both Union & Confederate, you & I can thank the bull-headedness and that good ol’ Missouri “Show Me” disposition of Site Manager Walter E. Busch. Mr. Busch, a St. Louis native ( of undeniable German heritage), was Site Manager here at Battle of Pilot Knob from 2001- 2017 and he recently retired.

What brought the need to have a comprehensive list to Mr. Busch’s attention was the confusion that existed about who was in the Battle as an enlisted soldier, a civilian, and those who just said they were. (For example, “Buffalo Bill” Wm. Cody noted in his memoirs that he was in the Battle of Pilot Knob even though there is not a shred of evidence that he was on the premises – now he may have been nearby, but to Mr. Busch’s thinking – that was not “in the battle”.) We also began running into names of enlisted personnel who were in the same companies and units as those who were in the battle but who could not be located and who were not among those contacted by Dr. Peterson. These fellows were found stationed in other places around southeast Missouri and so did not get in on the fight. At the time, our historic site was just beginning to get internet and so, equipped with that, and a microfilm reader, staff began collecting names, service records and any notes we could find about them. It took eighteen months to produce what we considered an accurate record of who was where and why. At the same time, we did our best to collect Confederate names and had to settle on listing every man who ever enlisted or was associated with Confederate forces in Arkansas and Missouri – thinking that among the 25,000 names and records, at least 12,000 of those were at Pilot Knob with Gen. Price.

About the anniversary brochures:

The 42nd Anniversary book (booklet, actually) you mentioned. There are 3 extent anniversary booklets for the three annual reunions that the veterans of the Battle of Pilot Knob held at Fort Davidson here in Pilot Knob. They were produced by the Pilot Knob Association which was the organization the veterans formed at their September reunions in Pilot Knob.

“Died of gunshot wounds” in this context, means, we think here at the Visitor Center, that Chas. Thorp was shot and died, but no one could remember the circumstances – and they were not going to take it for granted that he died “ in combat”. And, to their credit, that’s just how precise they meant to be.

----------

I for one really appreciate their refusal to make a call on how Thorp died when they just didn't know. It's going to have to remain a mystery for now. It does seem interesting that no one remembered his death since the commander of the 130-man detachment (William Campbell) was one of the officers of the Pilot Knob veterans association. I wonder if he was refusing to say anything out of respect for Thorp and his family's privacy.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!