Did the Union or Confederacy Produce Better All-Around Soldiers?

lurid

First Sergeant
From my experience in the USMC, the south enlisted the most people but the north and Midwest produced more quality than quantity. I really don't know about the CW, except that maybe at the beginning the south might had the better quality soldier, but during the middle and end of the war it was the north. In all fairness to the south, a lot were conscripted and we all know a lot of times conscription constituted dissent. Subsequently, desertion was prevalent and it started to fall apart. It seemed like morale picked up momentum for the Union rank & file as the war progressed. Nevertheless, at the start of the war who had the better trained soldiers?

I wasn't throwing rocks at the Union, I merely provided a chart where it appears that a disproportionate number of black Union troops relevant to their numbers compared to white Union troops in service were executed.
I don't recall that you had a chart that compared the rate of Union white military executions to black military executions. Maybe I overlooked it.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Vote Here:
Vote Here:
So rough count out of 267 listed executions fifty six are from the USCT and most are not for desertion but for rape,murder and mutiny.
Not seeing that has a sign of discrimination unless you can elaborate.
Leftyhunter

There were over 2 million white Federals and maybe as many as 180,000 black Federals, desertion wasn't the major cause for execution for either race. If it was, there would have been literally tens of thousands of executions. My point was given the relatively few black Federals compared to the much larger number of whites, the percentage for blacks was surprisingly high. I haven't seen any information on it, maybe you have, that blacks were far more like likely to murder and rape than the whites, but if they were not something is terribly amiss.
https://civilwartalk.com/attachments/27067283_10154940634980771_7827966482541469346_n-jpg.174369/

Vote Here:
There were over 2 million white Federals and maybe as many as 180,000 black Federals, desertion wasn't the major cause for execution for either race. If it was, there would have been literally tens of thousands of executions. My point was given the relatively few black Federals compared to the much larger number of whites, the percentage for blacks was surprisingly high. I haven't seen any information on it, maybe you have, that blacks were far more like likely to murder and rape than the whites, but if they were not something is terribly amiss.
https://civilwartalk.com/attachments/27067283_10154940634980771_7827966482541469346_n-jpg.174369/
You have a point that it certainly appears that more black soldiers then white were caught for rape and murder. Maybe @ForeverFree can tell us why more black soldiers were caught and executed then white soldiers on a per capita basis.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Quite possibly. There are contemporary historians who do argue that the Confederate Army deliberately undercounted there loses.
Leftyhunter

It makes sense considering the Confederates had poor health care to stave off disease and wounds. Makes me wonder how advanced the Confederates medical team really was in that era. Can't prove it, but I bet they often cooked the books...

Vote Here:
Back