Did the Secessionists Want War?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Red Baron

Private
The secessionists wanted secession, and were willing to risk war to get it. They thought it a small risk because, in their self-centered arrogance, they had convinced themselves that the people of the free states lacked the will to fight and/or the courage and ability to defeat them. They were wrong.
The South was invaded to set up a gigantic corrupt centralized government,central banking,corporate welfare,income taxes,etc... In other words, all of the problem s that plague the U.S.A. today.The Constitution was violated multiple times by Lincoln such as suspending habeous corpus, horrible attacking of citizens in both North and the south. Lincoln was a dictator and the only good thing he accomplished was freeing the slaves.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The South was invaded to set up a gigantic corrupt centralized government,central banking,corporate welfare,income taxes,etc... In other words, all of the problem s that plague the U.S.A. today.The Constitution was violated multiple times by Lincoln such as suspending habeous corpus, horrible attacking of citizens in both North and the south. Lincoln was a dictator and the only good thing he accomplished was freeing the slaves.
I look for new facts about the history of the Civil War and all I see is worn out reruns of already disproven opinions.

Red Baron

Private
I look for new facts about the history of the Civil War and all I see is worn out reruns of already disproven opinions.
Nothing is disproven about my comments. History books are not accurate because it is written as "His story"..His being the Victor's story. Lincolns plan was Hamilton s plan, which was "the American system" which was modeled after England..The Rothschild's and their Central Banks wanted the tax revenue and to be our nation's currency printer/controller. That is what Lincoln's war was all about.

trice

Lt. Colonel
The American System was a platform advocated by the Whig Party in America. It was primarily associated with Henry Clay of Kentucky, but also backed by men like John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, John Quincy Adams and Daniel Webster of Massachusetts. It became part of the feud between President Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay in 1830.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Nothing is disproven about my comments. History books are not accurate because it is written as "His story"..His being the Victor's story. Lincolns plan was Hamilton s plan, which was "the American system" which was modeled after England..The Rothschild's and their Central Banks wanted the tax revenue and to be our nation's currency printer/controller. That is what Lincoln's war was all about.
Like I said before, reruns.

You offer nothing I have not seen before and have already seen as just mere opinion, not anything based on historical fact.

Your above post is nothing different.

Rhea Cole

Corporal
The southern states did not really want war. In a speech in 1861, Jefferson Davis said that the CSA just wanted to be left alone.
I am certainly glad that Jefferson Davis got that straightened out. South Carolina hotheads had preached violent revolution for fifty years. They tried that one on Andrew Jackson. He stated that he would raise an army in Tennessee & hang traitors until his horse wet its hooves in the ocean. Wisely, the hot heads waited until poor ole Buchanan's administration to secede. That was a good move, 'cause Jackson was not kidding.

I believe if you will read Davis' speech, you will find that he was referring to territorial claims. They wanted to be left alone & would not attack their northern neighbors. Also, Davis was very aware of the moral advantage that befell the party that did not shoot first. We all know how the onside goal at Fort Sumpter showed just how right Davis was.

wausaubob

Major
I think timing is important here. By the time the Corwin Amendment was proposed, the ill fated secession plan of many of the slave states was already a fact. It was a last ditch effort of northerners who didn’t want war to stave off the impending disaster by capitulating to the Slave Power yet again in the name of peace. They were too late and didn’t understand that the Slave Power wanted war.
What had gone before the declaration of independence? How had southerners treated the Indian tribes that had trended towards civilization? How had the treated Mexico and Mexican law, which prohibited slavery? How had they treated Kansas, which had a demographic trend towards paid labor and free soil?

wausaubob

Major
Was there anything in British history, the history of the American colonies, US history of the north or south, that suggests anything other than imperial ambition and territorial expansion?
Since no one in the US could point to a history of peaceful co-existence, any assertion that the Confederacy intended to peacefully co-exist with the US, had little supporting evidence.
President Polk had temporarily settled the boundary with British North America in 1844. But that was acknowledgement of British military strength and economic power, rather than an indication of peaceful intent.

Red Baron

Private
The American System was a platform advocated by the Whig Party in America. It was primarily associated with Henry Clay of Kentucky, but also backed by men like John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, John Quincy Adams and Daniel Webster of Massachusetts. It became part of the feud between President Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay in 1830.
Yes and it was finally implemented by Lincoln. That was the true cause of his war....

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Baron

Private
Like I said before, reruns.

You offer nothing I have not seen before and have already seen as just mere opinion, not anything based on historical fact.

Your above post is nothing different.
And all you do is continue Lincoln's propaganda.

trice

Lt. Colonel
Yes and it was finally implemented by Lincoln. That was the true cause of his war...
Nope. That bald statement about history may suit your thinking, but will not lead you to any accurate understanding of the events of 1860-65 IMHO.

Red Baron

Private
Nope. That bald statement about history may suit your thinking, but will not lead you to any accurate understanding of the events of 1860-65 IMHO.

The "That was the true cause of his war...
The American System was established by Lincoln and is exactly what we have today.

trice

Lt. Colonel
The American System was established by Lincoln and is exactly what we have today.
Which takes us back to my original post:
"The American System was a platform advocated by the Whig Party in America. It was primarily associated with Henry Clay of Kentucky, but also backed by men like John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, John Quincy Adams and Daniel Webster of Massachusetts. It became part of the feud between President Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay in 1830."

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
Sure are a lot of books written by Davis and others if only "his" story is being told