Did the KKK and similar organizations cause the Union Army and state militia to cower during Reconst

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The purpose of this thread as the title suggests is very narrow. It does not concern morality or cause of Reconstruction Era violence. Does who wish to discuss those topics should post seperate threads.
This thread is in response to @CSA Today 's assertions.
Starting on post # 457 from the thread"By what metric was the Confederate Army the best"
"U.S. Army shied away from engagement during Radical Reconstruction.
Post #486 "the Occupying army avoided contact with the Klan"
Post #468
"Do you have sources the U.S. Army ever got close enough to the Klan to cause them to runaway"?
Post # 487 "Kirk ( former Union Army Col and then commander of the North Carolina State Troops in 1876) turned tail and fled back to East. Tn"?
We will explore those questions with sourced information.
Again no debates about morality . I would propose to my friends @Pat Young @ForeverFree a separate thread about the effectiveness of or lack there of concerning Reconstruction era counterinsurgency.
I will use the following book for my source
"A question of command Counterinsurgency from the Civil War to Iraq" Mark Moyar director of research at Orbis Operations and the author of "Triumph For
saken: The Vietnam War 1954-1965 and Phoenix and the birds of prey: Counter Insurgency and Counter Terrorism in Vietnam Yale University Press
p.46
"The primary counter insurgency armed forces were the federal army and the state militias . The Army could cover little territory, for it had 20,000 soldiers for the entire South for most of Radical Reconstruction . When federal troops came to a county rife with insurgency ,the insurgents almost always avoided attacking them , for army units tented to be well equipped and proficient in combat, and antagonizing them could cause the terrible swift sword to swoop down , in the form of hundreds or thousands of troops. The damage inflicted on the South by the likes of Sherman and Sheridan had instilled a ghastly fear of federal forces that would not go away , no matter how small their current presence in the South.
White insurgents usually evaded capture by dispersing and staying low. "
There is of course more to the page but so far no evidence of white insurgents taking on the Army or the Army trying to avoid contact with them.
Feel free to dispute the above but while sourced information is not required it would help support one's assertions.
Leftyhunter