Did the fall of Vicksburg truly end all crossings of the Mississippi?

Kentucky Derby Cavalier.

First Sergeant
Was there truly know where to cross the Mississippi after the fall of Vicksburg? I'm not talking major thoroughfares either, I'm talking about small slivers of the river that you could hopefully make a break for the otherside and get there.

Thoughts?

Mississippi_River_locator_map.png

Trans-Mississippi Mail Routes are a subject of intense study for postal historian interested in the Civil War. I assisted with a 2008 book on "Special Mail Routes of the American Civil War" by Steve Walske and Scott Trepel. An important chapter was devoted to the subject of Trans-Miss mails. One summary passage related to those CSA post office mails after May 1863:

After May 1863, the trans-Mississippi mail service was forced to use ad hoc, secondary routes
to cross the river with constant threat of Federal interception. One replacement route was an extension of
CSA post office route 8501a, which ran between Orange, Texas and Simmsport, Louisiana via Opelousas,
Louisiana. The actual crossing was between Simmsport and Woodville, Mississippi via the Red River
Landing in Louisiana. In his 1869
Memoirs of Service Afloat, CSA Admiral Semmes described crossing the
Mississippi with the mails in December 1864 via Alexandria and Evergreen (just west of Simmsport) to
Woodville. His trip took four days from Alexandria to Woodville, and then an additional four days to
reach Mobile.

Vote Here:
Back