Grant Did the confederates have some special knowledge about Grant's skill as a negotiator?

Lee tried to negotiate peace terms with Grant at least three times. Once at Cold Harbor, once with Longstreet's and Grant's wife, the peace commissioners who wound up talking to Lincoln instead, and at the road to Appomattox. Each time Grant's response was "Beyond my pay grade." It strikes me Lee was desperately trying to get Grant to make concessions he couldn't do.

Did he try this with any other commander? Did he feel he could get some kind of super deal going through Grant rater than Lincoln or Seward? Grant's skill as a negotiator was treated in his memoirs in his story of the horse he wanted when he was 12. Did they feel they could get a better deal?

It is worth noting That Sherman made a horrible deal with Johnson in Johnson's surrender that wasn't much of a surrender. Lincoln may have done very well keeping ALL settlements in his hands

No. Grant wanted to peace talks to occur. He knew the % chance of success was small. He wanted every Confederate to judge for himself whether dying for a dying cause was consistent with the man's duty to his family. He wanted every United States soldier to decide whether he wanted to stick around until last ditch was in full view.

I believe Grant to have been a very good negotiator. As you stated, Lee wanted to talk Peace before Appomattox. Grant knew that unless Lee had no other sane choice that this was the correct time. Grant being benevolent in his terms allowed Lee to accept and still retain his dignity. Lee in his heart of hearts knew The Cause was lost even though he may not have admitted that it was reality. Negotiation needs for both parties to feel they got something out of the deal.

Lee tried to negotiate peace terms with Grant at least three times. Once at Cold Harbor, once with Longstreet's and Grant's wife, the peace commissioners who wound up talking to Lincoln instead, and at the road to Appomattox. Each time Grant's response was "Beyond my pay grade." It strikes me Lee was desperately trying to get Grant to make concessions he couldn't do.

Did he try this with any other commander? Did he feel he could get some kind of super deal going through Grant rater than Lincoln or Seward? Grant's skill as a negotiator was treated in his memoirs in his story of the horse he wanted when he was 12. Did they feel they could get a better deal?

It is worth noting That Sherman made a horrible deal with Johnson in Johnson's surrender that wasn't much of a surrender. Lincoln may have done very well keeping ALL settlements in his hands
The Cold Harbor problem they couldn't get together on the proper way to negotiate for the dead and wounded.
General Lee new nothing of what Longstreet's wife was doing.
Lincoln gave the orders to Grant what to do at the surrender. "Let'em up easy." "Let them keep their rifles to shoot crows."

The Cold Harbor problem was over Items that Grant had no control over, as the correspondence between them clearly shows. Truces to clear the wounded could and were negotiated at the 2nd lieutenant level with no difficulty routinely.

The deal between the wives would have to be approved at the Jefferson Davis level. And I can't believe Lee didn't know about this given his personality.

The Cold Harbor problem was over Items that Grant had no control over, as the correspondence between them clearly shows. Truces to clear the wounded could and were negotiated at the 2nd lieutenant level with no difficulty routinely.

The deal between the wives would have to be approved at the Jefferson Davis level. And I can't believe Lee didn't know about this given his personality.
Then show me where I am wrong. (Rhea’s book is incorrect) Jeffery Wert’s book “Longstreet” will have it unless I read it wrong.

Last edited:
Grant and Lee both understood the carnage and hurt. Lee may have tried to save what remained of the citizens in the light that the US was targeting the citizens not only the military.
Grant, on the other hand, had a directive to execute the plan as drawn and carry the war to the desired end.
When that point was obtained, then Grant was free to join Lee in making the surrender a stepping stone to the complete re-unification of the country and the citizens as one and whole again.

It was the right thing to do, that of securing and restoring the Union and Lincoln sought no revenge. It is a tragedy that Lincoln's plan of reconstruction died with him.

Back