Did the Civil War begin in 1789?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

GwilymT

Brigadier General
I've got proof that the 1789 tariff act (and subsequent tariff acts) had negative effects on the southern states. Do you have proof that they didn't?

I'm beginning to wonder if some people here are paid plants.
Just asking about the bogus Washington quote you posted.

Jacksonian

Cadet
Thanks for your response.
This provides no support for the claim of Washington "standing on the floor of the house or congress stating "the southern States must bear the majority of the tariffs"."
Washington delivered each of his Annual Messages to Congress in person. So did Adams. It was not until Jefferson decided to instead send a written message that the practice was changed It remained that way until Wilson delivered his 1913 Annual Message in person to Congress. Presidents since have generally delivered their Annual Message in a speech before Congress.
Each of Washington's addresses is available at https://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/washpap.asp
So far as I can tell, in none of them did he state "the southern States must bear the majority of the tariffs."
Again, I question the validity of that statement. I look forward to you or another member providing a source supporting the assertion.
Wrong again ... reread the history.gov ... multiple times does not equate too 2 times.

I understand why history needs to be changed ... in order to complete a lying agenda that many today are bent on.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Wrong again ... reread the history.gov ... multiple times does not equate too 2 times.

I understand why history needs to be changed ... in order to complete a lying agenda that many today are bent on.
Thanks for your response.
You may want to "reread" my post, which pointed out that:
Washington delivered each of his Annual Messages to Congress in person. So did Adams. It was not until Jefferson decided to instead send a written message that the practice was changed It remained that way until Wilson delivered his 1913 Annual Message in person to Congress. Presidents since have generally delivered their Annual Message in a speech before Congress.​
Each of Washington's addresses is available at https://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/washpap.asp
No "agenda" in play here, only a quest for the truth.

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
So it ... might have been ... or might not have been Thomas Jefferson's view that black slaves were also men ... but since "that's what people thought" ... in some kind of consensus or something ... then ... we will deny history ... and go with your assumptions. Hahaha

BTW ... can you give the names of those people who thought that Thomas Jefferson really and truly ... and honestly meant that "black slaves were men also"?

One more quick question ... do you have proof that ole Tom was bumping ugly with his "possibly non'human black slaves", and that it was not his promiscuous little brother?
I quoted one Union leader, Lincoln and one Confederate leader, Stephens, both of which thought that "all men are created equal" meant blacks as well. Lincoln agreed with Jefferson and Stephens thought Jefferson was wrong to include blacks in that statement, but both thought that's what he meant. That's history.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Are you trying to convince me that the continental army was paid?

Do you know nothing of Shay's rebellion?

It is apparent that you need to reevaluate IF and when government funds were spent.

I almost laughed at the "embassy" thing ... what a hoot.

I think you need to slow your sales pitch ... just a tad bit ... I ain't buying.
You are dodging the question.

If not by tariffs, how would you pay for the expenses a government have?
(During this period where income tax was not a thing)

GwilymT

Brigadier General
Hahaha ... and Jefferson owned black slaves ... the whole time he wrote that little note (if he did write it).

What a joke on history ... guess ole Tom figured that he should keep his black slaves ... to stay on the good side of the slavers ... or maybe the Hebrew that were transporting and selling them to the colonists.

Jefferson needed the support of those slavers ... what was that 10% of the population?

Deny what Thomas Jefferson did ... only hold fast any assumptions about letters attributed to him ... that's pure logic!
“The Hebrew that were transporting and selling them”, care to back up your anti-Semitic remark?

And to be clear, you have no source for your Washington quote. You made it up to fit your agenda. How are we to take anything you say seriously when you either make up or don’t support your claims?

Last edited:

Frank Adams

Cadet
I would love a source for the George Washington quote. Off the top of my head, as President, he wouldn't be standing "on the floor of the house or congress" in the first place. Sounds a bit fishy to me, but I am willing to be corrected.

By using this reasoning, we can say the Civil War started in 1619 when the first twenty African slaves were landed in Jamestown.
Or we can say it started in 1776, when Thomas Jefferson wrote that all men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, including life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness when that credo would never be accepted by a goodly section of the new United States.
Or we can say it started in 1780 when Massachusetts and other states, abolished slavery, and the new nation was divided into free and slaves states.
Or we can say the Civil War started when the Constitutional Convention permitted a slave owning nation in 1787.
Or we can say in 1850 when John C. Calhoun threatened that the slave states would secede if anyone touched a hair on slavery's head, in other words, loyalty to the nation was conditional on a proslavery policy.
I was going to say 1619 and I love the other examples given.